Old 09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Barry Allen

Default [IBC] Blackthorn

Hi
I have a small Blackthorn (Sloe) seedling and just wondering how long it
takes for these trees to grow are they fast growers?
What is the best style of tree And what sort of Soil mix is best to grow
them in at the moment it is in a large bucket full of normal Clay soil in the
Garden
Best Wishes and may thanks
Barry

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Kev Bailey

Hi Barry,

They are very slow to thicken. The best bet is to plant it out in the garden
next spring and allow it to grow unchecked for a few years.

I'm very worried about the clay soil. That is the last thing that anything
in a container should be planted in. Be very careful with your watering.
Make certain that it can drain as freely as possible. i.e. elevate it and
make more holes in hte container. Next spring it must be washed absolutely
clean of all clay and planted in a free draining mix.

They suit most styles and can be a very rewarding tree with nice white
flowers and small black fruit with a bluish bloom. I have a cascade
blackthorn and a friend has a hollow trunked literati.

Good luck with it anyway.

Kev Bailey
N. Wales, UK

From: Barry Allen

Subject: [IBC] Blackthorn
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:09:52 EDT

Hi
I have a small Blackthorn (Sloe) seedling and just wondering how long it
takes for these trees to grow are they fast growers?
What is the best style of tree And what sort of Soil mix is best to grow
them in at the moment it is in a large bucket full of normal Clay soil in
the
Garden
Best Wishes and may thanks
Barry

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Blackthorn/Sloe in US. Robert Kieffer Bonsai 3 18-08-2005 03:04 PM
Blackthorn bulldurham73 United Kingdom 4 20-02-2005 10:09 PM
[IBC] Blackthorn/Sloe in US. Robert Kieffer Bonsai 0 09-01-2005 12:59 PM
Blackthorn hedging biscuit United Kingdom 13 25-03-2004 07:15 PM
Blackthorn and sloe crops subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 2 28-10-2002 05:27 PM