Old 10-08-2005, 01:30 AM
John Dhom

Default new juniper - stressed - need help with plan of attack

Hey all,

I just got a new juniper from a friend that doesn't have time to care for it
anymore. There are a number of problems with the tree and I need to sort out
how to proceed. BTW, this is a significant tree [for me] and I'd like to
avoid major blunders Got the tree yesterday and have it located on a
table with morning sun, afternoon shade. Semi-sheltered with decent
circulation. It's pretty hot here in the Nashville area... but I'm
lake-front which tempers it a bit. I dosed it with some transplant shot
stuff [weak solution] and making sure it doesn't dry out.

- generally pretty stressed
- significant ant infestation... some tiny and some bigger (maybe carpenter)
- poor root colonization
- some dead foliage, some new growth
- single live vein resting on 2x4
- lots of deadwood that hasn't been treated

Stimulating roots and getting rid of ants seems like the first order of
business. You tell me. My friend suggested Toro (Tora?) for the ants.
Comments? I want to get rid of them without hurting the root system.
Suggestions for dealing with the ants?

At what point should I start fertilizing and at what strength? I figured I'd
wait til signs that the plant is acclimating and then ease into fertilizer
with 1/2 strength balanced (20-20-20).

The deadwood is also in need of treatment. Can I treat the deadwood in the
immediate or should I wait?

I took some mediocre pics this evening to provide some context...

Smaller for dial-up...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...age1-small.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...seup-small.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...iew1-small.JPG

Not so small for broadband...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...liage1-big.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup-big.jpg
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...rview1-big.jpg

BTW, this is a very cool piece with lots of potential. Cascade with much
deadwood and a single vein of live... decent foliage. If all goes well this
will be my best piece by far

Best,
/jhd

John Dhom

Old 10-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Kitsune Miko

First cut ofdf all the brown folliage and see if there are entrance wounds. This could be beetles. I don't think you have to treat the dead wood unless it shows signs of rot. You will probably cut off much of the dead wood you would treat. It's not aas bad as you think. It does have a lot of potential and the green part looks very healthy.

Kits

John Dhom wrote:
[...]

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-08-2005, 08:30 PM
John Dhom

Good point. I kinda freaked out when a couple hundred ants surfaced during
my first watering. I'll do a more detailed inspection over next few days and
see what else I'm dealing with.

Best,
John

o.com...

Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 AM
John Dhom

Insects leaving the sinking tree so far... lots of ants (2 types I think),
some spider mites, some multi-leg things that roll into a ball, some larval
thingies, 1 big (1"+) black beetle with 4 or 6 yellow legs (he got away).

The juniper is in a 10 gal pot soaking. Haven't figured out how to take
macro pics with the new digital camera but had fun anyway.

lower res pics...
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...erview1-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...erview2-lo.JPG
http://www.dhom.net/images/bonsai/ju...loseup1-lo.JPG