Old 11-08-2005, 03:09 AM

Default [IBC] Shimpaku

When is the best time to repot a Shimpaku? I think it needs repotting badly.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Pauline Muth

Here in Zone 4....not too far from Iris who I think is Zone 5...I prefer to
repot them
just after the ground thaws from winter. April thru May. If it is an
emergency, just
move it into a larger training pot with additional soil for now and do it
properly in spring.
Pauline Zone 4 West CharltonNY

Old 11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
William Valavanis

Iris:

I have had plenty of experience in growing Shimpaku juniper, especially
in Upstate New York.

The best time to transplant Junipers is in late-May and early June,
when the new growth is actively growing. This way the new growth of
both the foliage and roots will not be damaged by a late spring frost.

The junipers recover very quickly and there is not problem with the new
growth. I would keep the newly transplanted Juniper out of the sun and
wind for no more than one week when transplanting then.

Now, if you transplant Junipers at the "book" recommended time, in
early spring before new growth begins I would place the plant
immediately in a full sun exposure.

Iris, I suggest you transplant your potbound Shimpaku juniper now. If
the water does not train fast, you can easily punch holes in the root
ball with a heavy chopstick. If you decide to go the "whole way",
simply transplant either into the same container or a larger one. Try
not to bare-root the plant, simply remove much of the soil, lightly
root trim making sure to have a nice network of fibrous roots showing
so they will be in contact with the fresh soil.

Good luck, there is still plenty of growing time in our area...

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++