Old 31-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Gophers and deer

I have access to a growing ground. It is frequented by deer and root eating gophers. I can use wire baskets in the ground to protect agains the gophers and for the short trees I can also screen the tops. Are there plants that gophers and/or deer don't like?

Kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Jim Gremel

On Aug 30, 2005, at 9:04 PM, Kitsune Miko wrote:

I have access to a growing ground. It is frequented by deer and root
eating gophers. I can use wire baskets in the ground to protect
agains the gophers and for the short trees I can also screen the tops.
Are there plants that gophers and/or deer don't like?

Kits

Most conifers are safe - you wouldn't need wire baskets.

Gophers loved the hornbeams I grew, but they never killed any. The best
preventative for gopher damage is a liberal application of cats. Here,
three cats reduced the thriving gopher population to a worrisome, but
apparently insignificant threat.

Jim

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 31-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Jim Gremel

Jim Gremel wrote:

Most conifers are safe - you wouldn't need wire baskets.

Gophers loved the hornbeams I grew, but they never killed any. The best
preventative for gopher damage is a liberal application of cats. Here,
three cats reduced the thriving gopher population to a worrisome, but
apparently insignificant threat.

I suggest just trying some of whatever you want to grow & let the
critters sort out which they like. I wouldn't use the baskets because
if the gophers really like something I have heard that they will just
climb over & dig inside them. My neighbor made raised beds with
screened bottoms & redwood sides, but the gophers climbed the 12" walls
& tunneled in.

Start with inexpensive plants.

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Kits,

Try going to the Botany Store (www.botanystore.com)and buy some Thuja
Green Giant arborvitae online. They are deer resistant, insect
resistant and drought tolerant. They grow 3-5 feet a year, which is
atounding. They can grow to 60 feet tall and 20 feet wide at maturity
but you can shear them to your own size as well. Good Luck!

Kitsune Miko wrote:
I have access to a growing ground. It is frequented by deer and root eating gophers. I can use wire baskets in the ground to protect agains the gophers and for the short trees I can also screen the tops. Are there plants that gophers and/or deer don't like?

Kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Dealing with gophers and newly planted fruit trees BB Gardening 3 28-08-2006 04:42 AM
moles or gophers? VB Lawns 2 25-08-2003 11:02 AM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 5 27-06-2003 05:32 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 0 25-06-2003 06:38 AM
gophers Lacreta Gardening 3 31-03-2003 05:32 AM