Old 13-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] summer losses

Well, I've lost yet another tree to an unusually hot summer. This time
it was my big balsam fir that I've had since I started doing bonsai
almost 6 years ago. This summer has been great for my tropicals,
succulents and cacti, but has been basically a waste for everything
else. My deciduous trees have had almost no discernible growth this
summer. Now we're at mid-point in September and leaves are just
starting to turn color. Overall, not the best of growing seasons.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Mark Hill - President, EESiFlo Inc.

Craig;

I'm slightly south of you in Central PA where we've experienced similar
weather conditions this summer. Yesterday the temp reached 93, and we're
expecting similar conditions today.

Early in the season my tropical plants showed great growth under these
conditions, but my conifers weren't happy in the direct sunshine and extreme
heat.

Two months ago I moved all my conifers (pine, junipers and larch) under my
patio deck where they receive morning and evening sunshine, but were shaded
from the extreme mid-day sun. This seems to have made a great difference in
their growth pattern. Since moving them, all my conifers have greatly
increased their growth and now look quite happy.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 6

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Michael Persiano

Craig:

I am sorry to hear about the damage. I would suggest that you consider feeding more aggressively. My experience has been that well-fed trees seem to better endure the extremes of nature.

I continue to feed my trees into late September in PA.

Cordially,

Michael

Old 13-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

I noticed the same thing in the Cleveland area. I lost a couple of
trees during the July heat and I have a couple of J. Maples that had
virtually no growth and have lost most of their leaves - still living
though. Tropicals LOVED this summer. Arborvitae and Taxus seemed to do
fairly well as did all of the stuff I have planted in the ground (they
did exceptionally well and I got almost as much growth this summer as
the last two combined). I'm just hoping for a mild winter and a
"normal" summer next year (last year was especially cool and this year
just the opposite.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH Sunset Zone 37

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Fire Losses Rich Ponds 0 29-10-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Care Tips for your trees #4 -- Summer (LONG!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 27-07-2003 08:22 AM
spines and summer surprises, summer regulars and total garden MADNESS again........... madgardener Gardening 4 10-07-2003 03:20 AM
[IBC] Care Tips for your trees #4 -- Summer DouglasTaylor Bonsai 4 10-06-2003 01:32 AM