Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Alexander Fraser

Default Perlite and Vermiculite

Greetings,

I was speaking to a fellow Bonsai Enthusiast about Perlite and
Vermiculite. He says that Perlite is too white, and too light (so that
it floats), and that Vermiculite tends to turn to mush, though this is
only what He has heard about Vermiculite.

Could someone tell Me their experiences with these to mediums, as I'm
thinking of buying some to create a soil mix ... yes, I found a
supplier in Canada. lol.

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Fraser
North of Toronto, Canada
Zone 4A

Old 02-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Brent Walston

Alexander

Check out this thread on BonsaiTalk:

http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthread.php?t=14094

Probably more than you ever wanted to know to about Perlite. As for
vermiculite, yes it breaks down (mechanically) into its clay like
components in about a year. It's not bad to use if you keep the
percentage low (under 5% by volume). It has a high CEC because it is
basically clay platelets.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

Alexander Fraser wrote:
Greetings,

I was speaking to a fellow Bonsai Enthusiast about Perlite and
Vermiculite. He says that Perlite is too white, and too light (so that
it floats), and that Vermiculite tends to turn to mush, though this is
only what He has heard about Vermiculite.

Could someone tell Me their experiences with these to mediums, as I'm
thinking of buying some to create a soil mix ... yes, I found a
supplier in Canada. lol.

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Fraser
North of Toronto, Canada
Zone 4A

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Vermiculite vs Perlite Ed Gardening 3 10-01-2009 09:00 PM
[IBC] Perlite & Vermiculite [email protected] Bonsai 1 02-10-2005 05:34 PM
[IBC] Perlite and Vermiculite Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 01-10-2005 11:48 PM
Perlite vs Vermiculite Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 10-04-2005 06:56 PM
Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite DavidandAllision Orchids 5 29-08-2003 05:22 PM