Old 13-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Geoff Hobson

Default [IBC] site death ?

Yes,
I do not do repotting at this time of year, but I am doing a course on
Sunday next and will be working on a Prunus mume Japanese fowering Apricot
and the air layer that I removed in July as well as some other trees that
need a bit of styling. We are having a verymild autumn, with no frosts as
yet it has been very warm recently, with temps up to 22c in the last few
days, I think it is going to get colder soon,
There that is some extra activity on the list!!
Geoff.

Old 13-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Michael Persiano

Geoff:

I would recommend that you minimize the pruning on the Prunus mume, particularly if it has branch structure that you wish to retain and use in the spring. If the tree is going to be exposed to temperatures nearing 0-degrees c this winter, it could experience dieback.

The best time to hard prune the Mume is after it has flowered and the first flush of leaves has appeared. You can selectively defoliate to maintain desirable leave size at that time and also direct sapflow to sparse areas in the tree.

Prunus mume is a wonderful specimen, and its flowers are pleasingly fragrant. Obviously, these were either grown in the US from cuttings or imported years ago from overseas.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

Old 14-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Carl Morrow

Dear All

I think the list is just slow right now. Fall repotting for some and for
others busy getting ready for winter.

.... and mad rushing around catching up with missed spring repottting and
control of blooming early summer growth for us here in the Southern
Hemisphere!

Carl
Cape Town, South Africa.

By the way, I have recently returned from the Ginkgo Awards in Europe.
What an amazing event that I would strongly recommend to all serious
bonsai enthusiasts. My experience of these international events is
limited by talking to the more well-heeled of the visitors they were
equally enthusiastic.

It was magical to be surrounded by over 240 selected masterpiece trees
of Oriental and European species that had been meticulously prepared for
the show over the past year. The attention to detail of exhibition
halls was also an inspiration to someone who has arranged local shows
for many years.

The album of photographs will be available from Bonsai Europe at the end
of the year and a DVD was made by Paul Goff.

site death ? Tiziano Bonsai 2 13-10-2005 08:42 PM
[IBC] Fw: Fw: [IBC] Sudden oak death and you Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 17-04-2004 07:46 PM
[IBC] Herb Gustafson White courtesy tele please: [IBC] suggestion for the IBC site Shelly Hurd Bonsai 13 01-03-2004 06:32 PM
[IBC] Vendor links by state on NBF site [Was: [IBC] Web Site Changes] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 03:22 PM
[IBC] Offtopic: Killing an Oak Tree (A Gratuitous Death) David J. Bockman Bonsai 7 01-02-2003 01:18 PM