Old 15-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Carl Rosner

Default [IBC] Top dressing

Dear All:
There has been a lot of discussions on soil, but I haven't seen much concerning the top dressing of the soil. Most of my soil has a very coarse look, and I would love to hear what others use to cover their soil to give a smoother finished look. Of course, I would also like to know where they obtain this ingredient.

What product is used fotop dressing for those who like to create forests, the moss will not adhear to the coarse ingredients that I have used in the past..

Thanks in advance for your in put.
Carl L. Rosner

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Craig Cowing

On Oct 14, 2005, at 7:41 PM, Carl Rosner wrote:

Dear All:
There has been a lot of discussions on soil, but I haven't seen much
concerning the top dressing of the soil. Most of my soil has a very
coarse look, and I would love to hear what others use to cover their
soil to give a smoother finished look. Of course, I would also like to
know where they obtain this ingredient.

What product is used fotop dressing for those who like to create
forests, the moss will not adhear to the coarse ingredients that I
have used in the past..

Thanks in advance for your in put.
Carl L. Rosner

I don't use anything for a top dressing. Anita and I use our own
compost as a soil component so that's finer than the turface or bark.
If I'm going to display my trees I put moss on the surface.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 15-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Roger Snipes

I don't normally use top dressing, although if I have some odd colored grit
in my mix, I will put on a top layer of straight red lava rock. Although
not everyone likes the color of the lava rock, I find it to be pleasing.

I also find that moss will adhere and grow on the lava rock. I don't
normally add moss, but wait for it to volunteer. Sometimes I will sprinkle
on some crumbled up moss, which then speeds the process for natural moss
growth.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish

There has been a lot of discussions on soil, but I haven't seen much
concerning the top dressing of the soil. Most of my soil has a very
coarse look, and I would love to hear what others use to cover their soil
to give a smoother finished look. Of course, I would also like to know
where they obtain this ingredient.

What product is used fotop dressing for those who like to create forests,
the moss will not adhear to the coarse ingredients that I have used in
the past..

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Top dressing Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 15-10-2005 06:47 PM
aerating and/or top-dressing Lucy Texas 5 28-09-2003 02:39 AM
Top dressing a lawn PJZ Gardening 7 02-08-2003 03:22 AM
Top Dressing a 30,000 SQFT Lawn Chris Lawns 5 21-06-2003 05:32 PM
Top Dressing Andrew G Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM