Old 17-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Brian

Default [IBC] ming aralia

Hello all,

I recently aquired a ming aralia bonsai as a gift and I'm afraid none of
my books have any information specific to this species (one book has a
photo, which is how I identified the tree). From what I've gathered on
the web, aralias are a tender species that want about 80 degree (F)
temps year-round, high humidity, doesn't tolerate direct sunlight for
more than a few hours, and should only be watered once or twice a week
as needed. Does this sound at all correct? Is this tree one of those
few true indoor species, atleast during the winter? (I live in
south-west pennsylvania). At the moment I have it near--but not too
near--a small window on my east wall.
All info is appriciated :-)
-Brian

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Brian wrote:

Hello all,

I recently aquired a ming aralia bonsai as a gift and I'm afraid none of
my books have any information specific to this species (one book has a
photo, which is how I identified the tree). From what I've gathered on
the web, aralias are a tender species that want about 80 degree (F)
temps year-round, high humidity, doesn't tolerate direct sunlight for
more than a few hours, and should only be watered once or twice a week
as needed. Does this sound at all correct? Is this tree one of those
few true indoor species, atleast during the winter? (I live in
south-west pennsylvania). At the moment I have it near--but not too
near--a small window on my east wall.
All info is appriciated :-)
-Brian

Yeah. Ming aralia (Polyscias friticosa) is about as close
to an all-year-round indoor tree that there is. I will take
(almost likes) low light levels. It MUST be warm (zones
10-11 are preferred). It's not really wood, like a beech or
a pine, but almost. It likes a light, frothy soil that
stays moist, so rather than "bonsai soil" you might consider
a typical indoor plant soil with lots of vermiculite and
peat, etc. -- but do NOT let it dry out. Not only will the
plant not like it, peaty soil when dry _repels_ water. If
this happens submerge the pot for an hour in water.

You can make them look tree-like, but as I said, they're not
really "woody." Indoor plant food, weekly as per label
directions.

Keep a keen eye out for spider mites, scale, and mealy bugs
(and aphids while you're at it); typical indoor plant
problems. It'll keep losing outside leaves -- a bit like a
cabbage. That's normal.

I think this was my first bonsai, back in cave-man days.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Aralia elata RIP p.k. United Kingdom 3 15-05-2006 06:56 PM
[IBC] ming aralia Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 18-10-2005 12:48 AM
Wilting Aralia Aureomarginata gardentoolshed United Kingdom 2 23-06-2005 09:42 PM
Ming Aralia as Bonsai Allen Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 10:22 PM
[IBC] Ming Aralia as Bonsai Ben Griffin Bonsai 1 22-02-2003 01:15 AM