Old 21-06-2005, 01:55 PM
gardentoolshed

Default Wilting Aralia Aureomarginata

The above tree is wilting and turning brown. I have recently bought
this small tree from a garden centre and have planted it in a spot that
receives full sun all afternoon and shade during the morning. It has
been planted in John Innes N03 with a mixture of bone meal. I am
watering the tree regularly and keeping the soil moist. I do not know
what is wrong as the tree is only a week old, but I do not want to lose
it as it is VERY expensive.

Old 22-06-2005, 11:36 PM
TheGardener

"gardentoolshed" wrote in message
ups.com...
The above tree is wilting and turning brown. I have recently bought
this small tree from a garden centre and have planted it in a spot that
receives full sun all afternoon and shade during the morning. It has
been planted in John Innes N03 with a mixture of bone meal. I am
watering the tree regularly and keeping the soil moist. I do not know
what is wrong as the tree is only a week old, but I do not want to lose
it as it is VERY expensive.

I had a plain green Aralia for many years until it finally succumbed to rot.
I found that as soon as it had flowered and set black berries, the leaves
began to drop off. This could be as early as August (but not as early as
June!). Has yours flowered?
Chrissie Harten
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 23-06-2005, 09:42 PM
gardentoolshed

It has not flowered and is now looking very sorry for itself. The green
leaves on the lower branches have turned brown and the branches have
gone droopy. The upper branches are green but are stating to go like
the lower ones. I took a photo of it and went back to the garden centre
where it was purchased. I spoke to a lady there who could not
understand what had happened to the tree and suggested I removed the
dead branches and to give extra water due to the hot weather. She did
say, however, that it may have suffered shock when moving from one
environment to another and that if it continues to deteriorate, then to
return for a refund.
I have removed the dead branches which has in turn removed about =A340
off its total value. The garden centre has been fair by offering a
refund, but I am annoyed that this has happened as I am relatively new
to gardening and thought I had followed all the instructions and advice
given about this tree, only to see it wilt. I suppose it could be just
one of those things that happens when gardening.

Aralia elata RIP p.k. United Kingdom 3 15-05-2006 06:56 PM
[IBC] ming aralia Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 18-10-2005 12:48 AM
[IBC] ming aralia Brian Bonsai 1 17-10-2005 11:32 PM
Ming Aralia as Bonsai Allen Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 10:22 PM
[IBC] Ming Aralia as Bonsai Ben Griffin Bonsai 1 22-02-2003 01:15 AM