Old 02-12-2005, 08:42 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Brian Stephanik

Default Soil for germination

I am planning to plant a Baobab Tree, Brazilian Rain Tree, and a Chinese
Elm. For each I am going to *eventually* use akadama & grit as soil
(inorganic).

Is this soil safe to use to germinate the trees? Or would an organic mix
be better?

Thank you

Brian
Old 03-12-2005, 11:32 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Mike Bennett

Default Association of British Bonsai 2006 Calendars / Japanese scroll

My apologies if anyone regards this as Spam, but it's definitely bonsai
related and all proceeds go towards helping the Association meet it's aims
over the coming years...

The Association of British Bonsai Artists proudly presents its 2006
calendar. This calendar comes as a set of individual high quality
photographs, together with a genuine Japanese paper scroll. The photographs
are of some of the UK's finest bonsai, from the 2004 Bonsai UK Exhibition.
The scroll, which was sourced directly from Japan, can also be used to hold
images of your own trees, or it can hold traditional Japanese images and
used as part of a tokonoma.

Limited to 200 copies, this is already becoming a real collectors item for
bonsai enthusiasts, and will make a fantastic Christmas present!!!

This is probably your last chance to get hold of one in time for Christmas,
and it's only available from the Association itself or via the following URL
on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...rd=1&sspage n
ame=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Don't miss out..these are selling fast!!!

Thanks for reading

Mike Bennett
http://www.bonsaiartists.co.uk

Old 03-12-2005, 05:02 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Jim Lewis

Brian Stephanik wrote:
I am planning to plant a Baobab Tree, Brazilian Rain Tree, and a Chinese
Elm. For each I am going to *eventually* use akadama & grit as soil
(inorganic).

Is this soil safe to use to germinate the trees? Or would an organic mix
be better?

Thank you

Brian

I'm sure you didn't see the replies posted to the mailing
list, so . . .

This soil would be fine, but expensive. I'd germinate seeds
in 80% sand, 10 % "normal" potting soil with peat in it.

Actually *I* would use some old, used bonsai soil that I
have laying around. :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac