Old 25-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] actinomyceter

There is a discussion on a Swedish bonsai forum on a Myrtle where the
bark has started to rot at the base. Someone gave a very short answer
just saying use glowes when handling the tree and when asked why, he
said you might spread "actinomyceter" (hope it is the same term in
english or you can figure out what it means) that damages the bark.
Sounds like some fungi but I have never heard of it. I donīt know how
valid this is for bonsai. Nina, anyone...

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Iris Cohen

There is a discussion on a Swedish bonsai forum on a Myrtle where the
bark has started to rot at the base. Someone gave a very short answer
just saying use gloves when handling the tree and when asked why, he
said you might spread "actinomyceter" (hope it is the same term in
english or you can figure out what it means) that damages the bark.
Actinomycetes is a common fungus. My question is why the print on my newsgroup
reply field is outline shadow pink on black. I suspect my granddaughter has
been here.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 31-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Nina Shishkoff

There is a discussion on a Swedish bonsai forum on a Myrtle where the
bark has started to rot at the base. Someone gave a very short answer
just saying use glowes when handling the tree and when asked why, he
said you might spread "actinomyceter" (hope it is the same term in
english or you can figure out what it means) that damages the bark.
Sounds like some fungi but I have never heard of it. I donīt know how
valid this is for bonsai. Nina, anyone...

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Actinomycetes are a kind of bacteria, and they don't harm trees. In
fact, they are used as biocontrol agents against root-rot fungi
because they produce all kinds of antibiotics. Are you sure the guy
said "actinomycete" and not "Oomycete"?
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Theo

I had the same problem with my myrtle under the bark I found plenty of nests of
Wooly lice I had to treat and take away all the bark that was shredding It has
been renovate 2 years later
Theo