Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Fw: Akadama

I use akadama eart for pines and someone is insisting that is
excellent for maples also
just akadama and nothing else..
could I have some information about ...is a new tendency or

an hoax?
I keep on with my 1/3 mix as usual
thanks
Theo

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Theo

HI Jim
there was no answer in your answer :-)
Theo

Old 30-03-2003, 11:20 AM
kevin bailey

Akadama is excellent for promoting vigorous root development and can be
used with no other soil amendments. It is much more expensive though,
and entirely unnecessary unless you have the specific need to develop
better rooting.

I would say that it is slightly less desirable to use it 100% for pines
as most of them need better drainage. I always mix in a high proportion
of sharp grit for pines.

I have used it neat for a Trident Maple and an English Yew that needed
a better root system over the past few years. This seemed to work very
well.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

I use akadama eart for pines and someone is insisting that is
excellent for maples also
just akadama and nothing else..
could I have some information about ...is a new tendency or

an hoax?
I keep on with my 1/3 mix as usual
thanks
Theo

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Theo

HI Kevin
Thanks for the information so it is used especially for promoting roots growth (
in the maple situation ) and mixed with grit for pines. what you mean by grit
=coarse sand? pine bark
Thanks
Theo