Old 14-02-2003, 10:39 AM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] OLIVE

Hi Ivan,

I'm in zone 9 and we only experience a few days subzero each winter so
you'll have to bear this in mind. My olives in pots (Olea europea)
survive very happily in an unheated greenhouse.

For the least four years I've had two planted out in the garden in a
sheltered spot and they are doing fine. We've had several spells of at
least -2°C and hardly a leaf has dropped.

I think they may be quite a bit hardier than we are giving them credit
for. Mine are all 10 years from seed or cuttings from these plants. I
wonder if their growing conditions, from germination onward, helps them
to become a little hardier?

Cheers

Kev Bailey

Hi
I keep my olive during winter inside and temperature is around 13-20 °C
and stands next to window...so has enough light but it's leaves keep
falling
off so how to stop it?
will new leaves appear on these places during spring?
thanks
Ivan
Croatia zone 7-8

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 15-02-2003, 03:15 AM
Iris Cohen

I'm in zone 9 and we only experience a few days subzero each winter so
you'll have to bear this in mind. My olives in pots (Olea europea)
survive very happily in an unheated greenhouse.

Olea europaea is supposed to be hardy to USDA Zone 8-10. Frost Protection:
Hardy to 10°F ( -11°C). If it is exposed to much frost, the leaves bronze.

I wonder if their growing conditions, from germination onward, helps them
to become a little hardier?

Probably not. It's genetic.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 15-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Alan Dunbrook

Default OLIVE

I've had Olea europaea outside to about -6C in November. But they are
put under a bonsai bench and the bonsai pot covered with a towel or
blanket. Frozen solid, they survive.

Alan
Z6

[IBC] Olive tree Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 08-11-2004 11:31 AM
[IBC] Black Olive Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 07-09-2004 06:32 PM
[IBC] Black Olive Ben Griffin Bonsai 1 07-09-2004 06:32 PM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europaea Iris Cohen Bonsai 4 10-02-2003 04:55 PM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM