Old 09-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] Olive, Olea europaea

I was just assuming the label was wrong and it meant 24-48'. The foliage
doesn't look very "dwarfish;" the longest leaf is 3". How long is the foliage
of the dwarf Olive?

24 to 48 feet is about the height of a mature standard olive tree. I have no
idea how tall "Little Ollie" gets in the ground. You would have to ask Pacific
Tree Farms or someone who lives in California. The leaves on "Little Ollie,"
when unpruned, run about 2 inches.
You may be puzzled why I keep putting "Little Ollie" in double quotes, when I
always rant that a cultivar name is enclosed in single quotes. That is because
it is actually a nickname. The correct clonal name is Olea europaea 'Montra,'
but you won't find it on labels because it is patented & then the seller would
have to pay royalties. This happens all the time in most plant families other
than roses. Patented roses seem to be pretty well controlled.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Colin Lewis

From: Iris Cohen

24 to 48 feet is about the height of a mature standard olive tree.

Wow Iris! Where have you seen them that big? I have seen probably
thousands of olive trees in Spain, Greece and Italy, many of them over a
thousand years old but not one of them over fifteen feet tall - and only
rarely that high.

Colin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Iris Cohen

I have seen probably thousands of olive trees in Spain, Greece and Italy,
many of them over a
thousand years old but not one of them over fifteen feet tall - and only rarely
that high.

Maybe I need my glasses changed. I am sure the olive trees at Neot Kedumim &
the Jerusalem Zoo were a good 20 or so feet at least. Maybe we have a
translation problem. I don't have time to keep looking, but the first Web site
I found says it grows 30 feet tall.

Old 10-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Alicia Thompson

--- Iris Cohen wrote: I was

24 to 48 feet is about the height of a mature
standard olive tree. I have no
idea how tall "Little Ollie" gets in the ground. You
would have to ask Pacific
Tree Farms or someone who lives in California. The
leaves on "Little Ollie,"
when unpruned, run about 2 inches.

I read on the net that the dwarfs get from 4-6' high.
I am going to assume it's the non dwarf due to the
leaf size and the fact that I only paid 4 bucks for
it. lol

Thanks for all the imput.
Alicia
In cold snowy z6 Ontario,

=====
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Iris Cohen wrote:

I have seen probably thousands of olive trees in Spain, Greece and Italy,
many of them over a
thousand years old but not one of them over fifteen feet tall - and only rarely
that high.

Maybe I need my glasses changed. I am sure the olive trees at Neot Kedumim &
the Jerusalem Zoo were a good 20 or so feet at least. Maybe we have a
translation problem. I don't have time to keep looking, but the first Web site
I found says it grows 30 feet tall.

Remember most oliv trees are for growing olivs. So it makes sense to
keep the trees short in order to be able to pick them. If you let them
grow free its probably another story.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Caring for Olea europaea (Olive) trees ChrisP United Kingdom 1 07-06-2007 05:01 PM
olive tree - olea europaea - Winter hardy in UK? David \(Normandy\) United Kingdom 22 17-05-2007 11:03 PM
Should I buy an Olea Europaea ? Eirik Kjølsrud Bonsai 1 12-04-2003 02:08 PM
[IBC] OLIVE kevin bailey Bonsai 2 15-02-2003 03:03 PM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM