Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] New To Bonsai

Hi Guys,

Before I start asking all sorts of newbie questions, is there a

site that
y'all can recommend as a "getting started" guide to Bonsai?

Thanks,
Dave
--
(remove spamblock or reply to group)

Well, you might try our website (address below). Your friendly
local public library is also a good choice.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Jim Lewis

Basically, I'm looking for tips on growing Japanese juniper,
which
seem to be in abundance in local nurseries. I just started with

my
first bonsai about one month ago and I enjoyed it. Naturally,

I'm
looking for a way to expand both my collection and my skill.

I do not, however, want to be influenced by other people's
interpretation of asthetics. My appreciation of bonsai is mine

and
mine alone and I would hate to have it "modified" by others'

concept
of beauty. I want to develop my own style. Of course, while the
asthetic apearance of a bonsai is subjective, survival is not.

Tips on
the latter will be appreciated.

I want to branch (the pun was unavoidable) out into maple

bonsai
eventually. Is this more difficult than juniper? If so, some

tips wold
be valuable as I do not wish to kill any more trees than

absolutely
necessary.

We have an on-line class on juniper bonsai at
www.internetbonsaiclub.org.

And whether your opinion is "modified" by others' is up to you,
isn't it? If you don't want to be influenced, no matter when we
might say (or not say, for that matter), if you're strong, you
won't be "influenced."

But watch out for that moment of weakness. ;-)

_I_ find maple to be easier than juniper -- but that may just be
me; I have no empathy for juniper or other conifers (or they for
me).

Old 18-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Kitsune Miko

Small leafed ivy makes a nice indoor/outdoor tree as
it is a very forgiving plant. In California I can go
to a nursery and get a one gallon size ivy with a
reasonable sized trunk and hack it back to little tree
shape. It can be defoliated at any time if necessary,
if healthy.

I gave my two away as gifts that still live and are
appreicated. I have several more that are not bonsai
that have crept out of their pots to run rampant
through the shelves. I noticed the other day that a
pot of grasses had fallen off the shelf, but didn't
hit the ground because the ivy had claimed residence
in that pot and was still attached to the monther
plant.

Kitsune Miko.

--- Jeff wrote:
Hi, I am just beginning but would like to know a
suggestion for an indoor
tree. It could remain potted outdoors but I would
eventully like to bring
indoors. I live in the Houston area, lots of
humidity, little winter.

Thanks

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl
Rosner++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 18-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi, I am just beginning but would like to know a suggestion for
an indoor
tree. It could remain potted outdoors but I would eventully

like to bring
indoors. I live in the Houston area, lots of humidity, little

winter.

Thanks

Go he http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/treelist.php

Select "indoor" as one of your criteria (and perhaps "beginner"
(ignore the extra "g" ;-)) and the list that comes up will be of
easy-to-do "indoor" trees.

Please be aware that there isn't any such thing as an "indoor"
tree. All trees will do better being outside when it is
possible. In Houston that's probably _most_ of the year. An
"indoor" tree is one that will survive inside. None of them
THRIVE inside.