Old 16-02-2003, 02:27 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] White stuff

I always have to stifle a giggle when the weathermen, in an attempt to come
up with another word for snow, use the term 'white stuff', i.e., "About 6
inches of the white stuff fell this morning.."

Regardless, we're getting hammered today... already about 5 inches down at
8:00 am, with another 10-15 inches expected. I had to move back from Chicago
for this??? P

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Craig Cowing

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

What is snow?
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Insulation.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Iris Cohen

Quitcherbeefin. We have had 128" so far, about twice what we had last year. Our
average is 114". I don't know how long it has been since it went above
freezing.
The city of Syracuse budgets about $36 million a year just for snow removal (in
addition to the county).
The only advantage to our heavy snow cover is that it protects the plants from
the severe cold.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 17-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

snip
The only advantage to our heavy snow cover is that it protects the plants from
the severe cold.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40

It's also drinking water for next spring, summer and fall, and water for bonsai
trees.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-02-2003, 06:03 PM
John - NJ

Northern NJ forecast - 20 to 30 inches by Tuesday morning. I already
have 3-4 foot drifts on my deck and in my driveway.

I love the snow. I just hate "moving" it.

John - NJ

Old 17-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Bart Thomas

Whatever else it is, it's up to my windowsill, thanks to the wind.

I live in a condo complex, in central New Jersey, and all the snow from the
roofs has blown off, adding to the amount on the ground.

My cold frame (over 30" above ground) is just peeking out from a drift.

My wife wanted to make snow angels, but it's too deep!

Good news for the reservoirs!

Bart

Old 17-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Ben Griffin

Snow snow and more snow here in NY my deck is burried
and the windows that face it are a quarter of the way
covered. I think i have a huge drift on my deck at
least 3 feet. Its such a pain though every few hours
i have to go sweep the snow off the top of the cold
frame to keep the plastic from collapsing in. Oh
well maybe winter will get it out of its system and
spring will start soon after "just wishful
thinking"......

Ben

http://shopping.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Robert Seele

Snow - good for skiing on.
Snow - good for snow mobileing on.
Snow - got to keep bonsai trees wintered under.
Snow - Make nice winter pictures.

Snow - a @#$!@# to shovel or drive through.

We have 1/2 inch on the ground here in Northern Illinois. Just the correct amount for me ;-)

--
Bob Seele
Nicely outside of Chicago, Illinois, Zone 4/5

Old 17-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Iris Cohen

Whatever else it is, it's up to my windowsill,

That's nothing. In 1966, the snow was up to the roofs of one story houses.
There was a 30 foot drift in an intersection in downtown Syracuse. The storm
started on Saturday & we weren't plowed until the following Wednesday. They
sent extra snowplows from Maine. We went to the store with the dog pulling a
sled. Schools were closed until Thursday, which was the first day I could go to
work. My boss got to work on skis.

Old 18-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Anton Nijhuis

I just finished watching the news and weather, you guys back east can
keep your weather. I have already started with the mowing season (had to
mow last week) here in Vancouver.

Anton

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Jim Lewis

However, the city of Oswego, north of here, has a
75 foot pile of snow from their plows. They say it will be

there til August.

Whoosh! Something like that hangs around where _I_ live, I
wouldn't be there to watch it melt!

St. Kitts here I come!

David Thoreau - Walden