Old 02-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Sticky, white stuff on my Carmona/Fukien

Hi.
One of my Carmonas has been 'attacked' by some white, sticky

stuff, that
seems to be gathering mainly at the end of branches. It has

been outdoors
for the last week or so. Any idea what this may be, and what I

should do?
Thanks in advance,

Sounds like mealybugs. A soap spray or a spray containing
pyrethrums will take care of the problem.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 6/1/2004 1:33:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

One of my Carmonas has been 'attacked' by some white, sticky stuff, that
seems to be gathering mainly at the end of branches.

We normally don't respond to senders with Spam blockers in their return mail
address

But, one more answer, please do your own remove, don't ask me too again.

Two possible answers:

1. A mealy bug, which is usually found near the base of a leaf instead
of the end. These will cover and kill your tree.

2. Some kind of insect egg case. Without seeing the sticky mass and
taking a bug book, I can't be sure.

In any case get it off, try a weak solution of soap and water. Use
one tablespoon of mild dish detergent to a gallon of water. (sorry for the
English system measurements but I don't know the metric equivalents).

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislek of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Ole Kvaal

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote in message

We normally don't respond to senders with Spam blockers in their return

mail
address

Sorry. Neither would I have posted the message with a spam blocker if I had
known it would end up in what was not a newsgroup. Which is what I guess
happened? So, could someone please tell me why my request (and others) ended
up at [IBC], and not only in rec.arts.bonsai?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your (original) reply.

Ole K