Old 15-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Bart Thomas

Default Attending Conventions

For those of you that don't regularly go to bonsai conventions, Dale Cochoy
has a very good post on the gallery under the title of:

MidAtlantic symposium vending area

There are a lot of benefits to going just for the vending area. It's a real
eye-opener, and a great experience (particularly for "newbies"). Doesn't
cost much, either. MidAtlantic was $5.

There is usually a banquet/auction attached to the convention at which some
real bargains can be had. It's a great place to meet bonsai people.

Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
J. Gettinger

Hi all, regarding the admission charge of $5.00. Hey it's no biggy. Let me
give you another view point. Last year I visited the Mid-Atlantic for the
first time. I was not a member of a club, nor did I know anyone personally
who did Bonsai. At the time the $5.00 charge did not even get noticed. What
did get noticed was the beauty of the display trees! Also I was taken back
by the prices at the vendor area, at the time, not knowing any better they
seemed high.

This year I returned to the Mid-Atlantic. I am now a member of a club and it
still cost me $5.00. Again no biggy. The display area was even more
outstanding (or did I just appreciate the trees more, now that I know more).
The vending area did not seem high priced at all. I doubt all the vendors
cut prices, I just became aware of value in front of me and of the work
involved.

So Jim... even if you let new people in to these events for free.... the
sticker shock would kill them. Hey, maybe I'm just cheap..... or maybe our
love, Bonsai, is not a inexpensive undertaking. I know there are ways of
doing it on the low end but going to a show and seeing trees going for from
several hundred to several thousands of dollars can put off someone if they
are on the fence. Yes, those trees were worth every penny and then some...
but to a rank newbie?

Don't worry about the 5 Bucks!

just my 2 cents

Jay

[IBC] conventions Bob Pastorio Bonsai 2 20-05-2004 03:03 AM
[IBC] Attending Conventions Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 15-04-2003 10:56 PM