Old 21-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Oljuska

Default [IBC] Tools question

Hello,
What is the list of tools that are necessary for a beginner? I have a Serissa and planning to get this Spring a Juniper and Trident Maple ( trees that I can keep outside all year in Toronto).
I prefer to buy good quality things that cost a bit more, but there is no need to change them every season. So where do I start? Is Bonsai Network Japan (http://www.j-bonsai.com/index.html) a good place to order? Or may be there is a place in Toronto?
Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you,
Olga
(Toronto, Ontario zone 6)

---------------------------------

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Bart Thomas

What is the list of tools that are necessary for a beginner? I have a

Serissa and planning to get this Spring a Juniper and Trident Maple ( trees
that I can keep outside all year in Toronto).
I prefer to buy good quality things that cost a bit more, but there is no

need to change them every season. So where do I start? Is Bonsai Network
Japan (http://www.j-bonsai.com/index.html) a good place to order? Or may be
there is a place in Toronto?

The basic tools are shears, concave cutter, root hook, wire cutter,
tweezers, and chopstick.

I have had excellent experience with Bonsai Network Japan, but shipping
costs may make it cheaper to buy locally, if you have a smaller order. I'm
sure that there are good places in Toronto and that your fellow citizens
will fill you in on those.

Regards,

Bart

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Jim Lewis

The basic tools are shears, concave cutter, root hook, wire

cutter,
tweezers, and chopstick.

Don't buy a root hook. If you know someone with horses ask them
to GIVE you a hoof pick; or buy one at a tack shop; strong
plastic ones cost $1.00 or so -- a bonsai root hook will
(absurdly) cost $10-$25. If you don't have access to horse
stuff, take an old crocheting hook, bend the tip and use that; or
an old dentist's pick. Or an old dinner fork, and bend it into
shape, or use the chopstick. The free or very low cost
alternatives to a BONSAI root hook are endless.

I've never in my 30 years of bonsaiing used a tweezers for
ANYTHING. Fingers (or a pair of chopsticks??) work great - both
are free.

You can get expensively caught up in the mystique of bonsai
tools. There are a few that are absolutely necessary. The rest
are frosting -- expensive frosting.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Alan Walker

Jim: You're missing the point! ;-) A lot of us are tool junkies and love the
excuse to get another specialized tool!
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
The basic tools are shears, concave cutter, root hook, wire cutter, tweezers, and
chopstick.
===
Don't buy a root hook. If you know someone with horses ask them
to GIVE you a hoof pick; or buy one at a tack shop; strong
plastic ones cost $1.00 or so -- a bonsai root hook will
(absurdly) cost $10-$25. If you don't have access to horse
stuff, take an old crocheting hook, bend the tip and use that; or
an old dentist's pick. Or an old dinner fork, and bend it into
shape, or use the chopstick. The free or very low cost
alternatives to a BONSAI root hook are endless.

I've never in my 30 years of bonsaiing used a tweezers for
ANYTHING. Fingers (or a pair of chopsticks??) work great - both
are free.

You can get expensively caught up in the mystique of bonsai
tools. There are a few that are absolutely necessary. The rest
are frosting -- expensive frosting.
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

Old 21-02-2003, 05:15 PM
dalecochoy

Old 21-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Neal Ross

When I first started I went out and purchased all the tools I saw even
though I didn't need them at the time. A root hook was one of those tools.
The only time I use it now is when I loosen up the soil around the rim of a
container to remove a plant. I still prefer the chopsticks I bought over the
root hook and they only cost a nickel.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 22-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Carol Widger

"I've never in my 30 years of bonsaiing used a tweezers for
ANYTHING. "
I use my bonsai tool tweezers constantly in spring. They are absolulely
terrific for pulling small weeds root and all without disturbing the soil
too much.
Carol Widger
Spring in NoCA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Shelly Hurd

I'm all for inexpensive alternatives but, I find that my tweezers
come in very handy. Especially when working on smaller stuff with
my big hands.

=================

That's what pointed chopsticks are for.

Maybe, but I'm not good enough with chopsticks to pluck the new growth from
my maples as they begin opening in spring, and my fingers only work well a
portion of the time. Tweezers easily separate the new unfolding leaves
allowing me to pinch the next set with ease. But I didn't spend an arm and
a leg on the because they were 'bonsai' tweezers, I just picked up some that
were lying around the house. :-) I find many uses for them.

Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 24-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim: You're missing the point! ;-) A lot of us are tool
junkies and love the
excuse to get another specialized tool!
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

Mebbyso, but I'd rather take then $$$ I save on tools and buy a
nice pot. Generally, my trees don't seem to mind that I use a
$1.00 "root hook" but they seem to enjoy being in a nice pot.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 24-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Len Arzoomanian , BonsaiRI

From: Neal Ross
I still prefer the chopsticks I bought over the
root hook and they only cost a nickel.

Neal! I guess your not a Chinese or Japanese food lover! They give them to you with the meal. To top it off they are actully pretty nice to use too. I rarely use the silverware when eating Chinese food or Sushi!

Len

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS:

http://www.bonsairi.com
http://www.rhodeislandbonsaisociety.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Bill Sikes

Hello, Olga!

Dallas Bonsai Garden has very good tools at quite reasonable prices. I have
several tools from their catalog. Their stainless steel tools are
excellent. They require little maintenance and retain a very sharp edge.

Plus, they have a nice, large, user-friendly site.

I would suggest a pair of concave cutters, medium- to heavy-duty shears and
a pair of blunt-nosed wired cutters. Other things will present their
usefulness as time goes by.

Click Here...
www.dallasbonsai.com

Good luck!

Bill
----
Bill Sikes

The Bonsai Shop & Nursery
South West Georgia, USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 28