Old 21-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Tools

Hello,
What is the list of tools that are necessary for a beginner? I
have a Serissa and planning to get this Spring a Juniper and
Trident Maple ( trees that I can keep outside all year in
Toronto).
I prefer to buy good quality things that cost a bit more, but
there is no need to change them every season. So where do I
start? Is Bonsai Network Japan
(http://www.j-bonsai.com/index.html) a good place to order? Or
may be there is a place in Toronto?
Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you,
Olga
(Toronto, Ontario zone 6)

====================

With _A_ serissa, your list of necessary tools is short. ARS
makes a very good, sharp, long-lasting pair of bonsai scissors
($21.67 in the A.M. Leonard catalog (p. 56 in the current
catalog - item ARS64) (See also www.amlgardener.com) ). For a
serissa, this is probably the only tool you'll need. If you go
on to bigger and better things, you will want a set of GOOD
concave cutters. Expect to pay at least $40 for them. You also
will want a set of wire cutters that cut at the TIP of the
blades. There are Japanese wire cutters that cost much too much.
Sears sells a small pliers-type that cuts at the tip for about
$8.00. These are fine for all but the largest wires -- which you
probably won't be using in the foreseeable future. A decent set
of bypass pruners (for larger stems and roots) -- $20 - $50.
(All prices are in U.S. dollars.)

I have absolutely NO idea about Bonsai Network Japan, but as a
rule of thumb, anything with "Bonsai" in the title seems to add
at least 20% to the cost. ;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Oljuska

Thank you very much for your replies.
Hoping to hear from Toronto enthusiasts about local sources.
Olga
Toronto, Ontario zone 6

---------------------------------

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Jim Lewis

From: Jim Lewis

With _A_ serissa, your list of necessary tools is short. ARS
makes a very good, sharp, long-lasting pair of bonsai

scissors
($21.67 in the A.M. Leonard catalog (p. 56 in the current
catalog - item ARS64) (See also www.amlgardener.com) ). For

serissa, this is probably the only tool you'll need.

Jim, I find one other tool handy with a serissa. Tweezers! I

use it to constantly pick off the yellow leaves. I am not saying
this as a joke. My Serissa constantly produce some amount of
yellow leaves, especially if they are mad with me about moving
them, touching them, or even looking at them in the wrong way. I
do have to admit that picking the leaves off with the tweezers is
one of my favorite forms of relaxation. Probably the main reason
I like serissa!

Nah. Just pick it up, and shake it. ALL the leaves will fall
off. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 30-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Francisco Expósito wrote:

I live in Venezuela and I am interested to buy the tools regarding this
art. I would like to know if smo of you can help me.

To me the most important tools are a pair of bonsai-scissors, a angled
branch cutter (concave pliers) , and a pair of root cutters (pliers).
These are the only special "bonsai-tools" you need in my opinion.
Furthermore you will need chop sticks, knitting needles or something
smilar for root work. You also need some sort of mesh for sifting soil
with sizes 2, 4, 6 mm. A regular pair of garden shears is good for all
kind of work. A pair of pliers for cutting wire is also necessary. I
don´t know if there are any bonsai shops in Venenzuela but you can find
lots of bonsai shops on the net.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++