Old 23-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Priorities in bonsai design

Maybe I should be more specific.

I obtaines some juniper gold coast trees with trunks that I

think would
look good as they are. The branches and foliage need working

on. Do I first
see to the branches and foliage before putting in a bonsai pot

or can I pot
it up now?

Again, one generally does not put a tree in a bonsai pot until it
is a "bonsai." And, working on branches and foliage puts some
degree of stress on the tree. It is usually best to do that
while the tree has a full set of roots to help it recover from
the stress.

If you are happy with the trunks -- and it is YOU who has to be
happy with your trees -- then you can work away at the top.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Heinrich Köhne

I have good idea how they look, those lollipop branches that will take at
least two seasons of heavy feeding especially with Trelmix(Trace element
solution) and pinching back of growth to be anything worth working with. I
have to agree with Colin Lewis as he stated in his latest book that J. gold
coast is not worth the effort.And Walter Pall remarked that we lack any
junipers that are worthwhile in this country, and he continue to say with
our wealth in indigenous material we do not need to trouble ourselves with
junipers.Though at the convention Salvatore Liporace did some magic with a
feeble juniper.
For the purpose of practice, yes by all means use them but don't put your
heart on it that they would be bonsai of any substance IMHO.Then do follow
the advice you have already received and to quote Brent Walston." I don't
grow trees I grow TRUNKS !" Meaning bonsai pots are out until you have
material that is of substance.
Feel free to contact me when ever you might be passing Bloem.
Heinrich Köhne
Bloemfontein
RSA
ZONE 9

Maybe I should be more specific.

I obtaines some juniper gold coast trees with trunks that I think would
look good as they are. The branches and foliage need working on. Do I

first
see to the branches and foliage before putting in a bonsai pot or can I

pot
it up now?

Thanks

s sulaiman

Old 26-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Do to cost considerderation (and actual in-ground space limitations), I went
to K-Mart (Wal-Mart, Target, whatever) and bought a number of the larger
clear plastic storage containers. You can get them in fairly large sizes -
much wider/longer than deep and some even have "feet" to raise them from the
ground and handles to carry them. Then drill, melt or poke drainage holes
in them. I've got a couple of trees from the nursery growing out in them
and one fairly large Yew that I dug up that is recovering in one of the big
ones. I plan on using this type of container on quite a few of the trees
I'll be trunk thickening starting in the spring. Depending on the size you
need, Jim's suggestion is probably the cheapest - buy the REALLY cheap large
plastic pots at a nursery and cut them down to half the height.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 26-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Bart Thomas

Another alternative is the plastic mesh baskets that are sold for pond
plants at stores such as Home Depot.

Bart