Old 27-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Practicing Grafting

At 09:26 AM 2/27/03 -0500, Bart Thomas wrote:
Michael:

My suspicion is that a carefully planned series of still photos with
detailed commentary would be most valuable for these beginners.

For example, I saw Art Skolnick teach wiring by using a tree he had made up
of dowels and by wiring peoples fingers (to demonstrate the effect of the
direction of the wiring on branch rotation). This way a most impressive
demonstration for its clarity and would not have been enhanced by video
rather than still photos.

Bart, et al

I teach grafting like that too. Grafting, even more than wiring, takes a
LOT of practice working with knives. I create trees by drilling a 1/4 inch
hole in a block of 2x4 lumber, then taper it slightly with a tapered
reamer. Then I have students cut lengths of willow, which is nice and
straight and soft and jam the sticks into the blocks. This is the
understock. Then I have them cut practice scions of willow that are just a
little smaller caliper and have them graft the 'scions' onto the
'understock'. You can do this all day without wasting valuable material.
You can even practice tying the grafts.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++