Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM
XdjipsterX

Default japanese maple

I have problem with it's cuttings...They won't root...they just dry
out...every oneof them and I've already tried with hundreds of them ...in
water, in sand and in fine soil...but nothing works...so please give me some
hints!!!
Softwood indeed!

thanx
ivan

Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Theo

HI
The only one I made was a chipped branch that I put inside the terrine maple
soil ( one maple and another with azalea).. and it took roots.. so teh bonsai
has a baby one aside
acid soli must help last ones I used 50% sand and peat others I used
normal soil
I put in jannuary some cuttings of Penthaphilla in a geranium pot ( aside
with the geranioum)and they just made flowers ( the penthaphilla ) and needles
are still green now ,probaly are making roots will see next year

I noticed one thing already many years ago when kid with a lilac.. when a
branch split almost spontaneously and this must happens surely in june period
it takes roots easily too
My old aunt used to split vertically the cutting 5 mm and put a wheat
seed inside and fasten with one of her long hairs.. and normally the cutting
made roots ...
Her son, my cousin , always said she was a witch .. try this method I am going
to next time... why not !
Theo

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Iris Cohen

I have problem with its cuttings...They won't root...they just dry
out...every oneof them and I've already tried with hundreds of them ...in
water, in sand and in fine soil...but nothing works...so please give me some
hints!!!

That is why most Japanese maple cultivars sold in the nursery trade are
grafted. There are a few cultivars which can be cutting grown. Brent Walston
and Bill Valavanis can probably tell you which ones. I have a cutting-grown
'Butterfly' which is doing fine. If you have a particularly nice Japanese maple
you want to propagate, you may find it easier to grow it from seed & then
choose the best seedlings. However, this doesn't work if you want to do a
multiple trunk or forest planting.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."