Old 21-06-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about weeds growing through cement

Hello all,
I am a first-time homeowner and have a question about weeds.
I am also a total novice to gardening and lawn-care.
My house has a cement patio area which surrounds the back side of the
house, as well as a small brick areain the patio. My problem is that
there are weeds growing up through cracks in the cement and bricks.
I went to my local Home Depot's garden section and and they had several
kinds of weed killers for this type of thing, but I read the labels
and they all sounded very toxic.
They did say it was safe after the formula had dried, thouigh.
I have dogs so this obviously concerns me.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
I don't have any idea what kind of weeds they are. They are green,
tall, and kind of thin,with sort of frilly leaves, but no flowers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Darren

Old 21-06-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

How much are they selling it for?

On 21 Jun 2006 06:19:34 -0700, "Garwood" wrote:

Well, I got the perfect Father's day gift that would solve your
problem! My kind wife gave me an "inferno" propane torch. The torch
has a long handle so you can hold the flame close to the ground. I
used it for the first time the other day as an organic way to control
weeds under my electric fence that surrounds my organic vegetable
garden. It worked like a charm!! My wife special ordered it from Home
Depot.

Mark

Old 21-06-2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

If you don't mind bending down, a regular, inexpensive propane torch will do
the trick. Any decent hardware store carries Bernz-O-Matic or whatever it's
called.

Old 21-06-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

I am told hot vinegar will kill weeds. Ingrid

wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 21-06-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

I have a Bernz, but I can no longer bend too well.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:14:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

If you don't mind bending down, a regular, inexpensive propane torch will do
the trick. Any decent hardware store carries Bernz-O-Matic or whatever it's
called.

.. .

Old 21-06-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vivek.M

Boiling water or salt ( rock salt ), but that's just stop gap. The darn
things will sprout again unless you eradicate the seeds and dig out the
root. Our backyard used to be filled with weeds ( parthenium ) when we
first moved in. I remember that my dad used to dig underground and pull
out huge nodules of weed root..Major pain..

If it's summer then try with really salty water..

Old 21-06-2006, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank

Vivek.M wrote:
Boiling water or salt ( rock salt ), but that's just stop gap. The darn
things will sprout again unless you eradicate the seeds and dig out the
root. Our backyard used to be filled with weeds ( parthenium ) when we
first moved in. I remember that my dad used to dig underground and pull
out huge nodules of weed root..Major pain..

If it's summer then try with really salty water..

Forget the salt and the vinegar. Both can corrode cement.
Get a small spray bottle of Round-Up or other total vegetation killer.
Frank

Old 21-06-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill

In article ,
says...

wrote:

If you don't mind bending down, a regular, inexpensive propane torch will do
the trick. Any decent hardware store carries Bernz-O-Matic or whatever it's
called.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...2&p=47306&cat=
2,2300,44822&ap=1

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U22B52F4D

http://www.yardener.com/FlamingWeedTools.html

I have one similar to the last URL. It also works well to start
charcoal for the barbecue.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.
Old 21-06-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We use Roundup. The best mix we discovered was 6 oz to a gallon of water
sprayed when the air is still. Our sprayer sprays a nice mist set to wet
all weeds in one or two passes. It's weeks before we have to do it again.
The neighbor does the same thing but they spread pre-emergent weed killer
between their stepping stones. Less weeds come up that way she said.

Old 22-06-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
If you don't mind bending down, a regular, inexpensive propane torch
will do the trick. Any decent hardware store carries Bernz-O-Matic or
whatever it's called.

Remember that if you're using a torch (a general use one, or one marketed
specifically for week killing - doesn't matter), your goal is to do enough
cellular damage to kill the weed. You shouldn't be burning the weeds to a
crisp, or turning them into ash.

If you apply too much heat near the edges of concrete, you may cause the
edge to pop. And the piece that pops can take out an eye, or cause a burn
to skin. (Even if you're not intending to torch to that extent, wear eye
protection, and cover any skin you don't want to risk scarring.) Torching
too hot near wood can have some predictable consequences, too.

You also don't want to torch weeds when there are any burning
restrictions, either. One hot ember can do a lot of damage. For example,
I'm hearing on the news that a wildfire was started by a spark from a
gas-powered string trimmer that was, ironically, being used to cut down
vegetation to lower fire risks.

But under the right conditions, properly torching weeds can be quite
effective, avoids any toxic chemicals, and is less labor intensive than
manually uprooting weeds.

If you're in a situation where torching isn't appropriate, Round-Up is the
best choice. (If you're mixing your own, remember that a stronger mix may
be *less* effective than the proper mix because of the way Round-Up works
as the plant metabolizes it.) Keep the dogs away from it for a day...
maybe two days if they tend to try to eat every weed they see. Your
biggest danger is that they'll get some fresh Round-Up on their paws, and
then lick their paws.

Also, whether you torch or use Round-Up, it's important that the foliage
isn't trimmed first. Both methods depend on the foliage being there to
work correctly.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 22-06-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sgt.Sausage

"Jangchub" wrote in message
How much are they selling it for?

I got mine, 'bout 4 years ago for like 17 bucks. That's the cheap part.
If you use it a lot, it's the fuel that gets expensive.

Old 22-06-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sgt.Sausage

wrote in message

I am told hot vinegar will kill weeds. Ingrid

Hot *anything* will kill them if you get it hot enough.

Where I come from, water falls from the sky -- for free! Does vinegar
do that where you live?

Old 24-06-2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

Mindful wrote:

We use Roundup. The best mix we discovered was 6 oz to a gallon of water

RoundUp comes in so many different concentrations that saying "6oz to a
gallon of water" is meaningless unless you specify what concentration
of RoundUp you are using.