Old 13-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Lynn Smith

Default [IBC] Blue Star Juniper

Good Day All,

Being new to the art of bonsai can be frusterating. I have been adivised by
our local club here to start with some nursery stock. Junipers have been
recommended due to their ease of growing and taking the abuse a newcomer has
to go through.

I chose a Blue Star Juniper. I love the color of this plant, I picked
through them to find one that I liked the shape of and came out with one
that is slightly slanting to one side of the pot. It is quite full and will
need lots of trimming and work on it.

I would like to know if I can pot this juniper in a bonsai pot and do some
pruning to shape it all at once?

I have two pots one being 8"Lx5"W and 10"Lx7 1/2"W. The juniper is in a 1
gal pot at the moment. Which of these two is the better size for this plant?

Because it is on a slant already do you plant them to one side in the pot or
in the middle?

Our club is quite new and there are some members that can help me if I need
it but they are learning too. If any of you could be of assistance to me I
would greatly appreciate it.

Have a nice day.........Lynn

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Lynn . . .

We need to know where (general area) you live. In MY area of the
world, it's much too late to do any root work on a juniper.
Generally, beginners (and intermediates, too) will be better off
if they work on the top of a tree while it stays in its nursery
pot. Doing top and roots at the same time is stressful, and not
recommended unless you know what needs to be done to keep a plant
alive without its natural life-support systems.

That said, the larger pot is better.

I'd recommend you run to your nearest bookstore or garden center
and purchase the Sunset book "BONSAI". Get the 2003 edition.
Your club members could use this little book as their bonsai
Bible as you all get started.

So. Work on the top. Don't try to do it all at once!!!!! You
cannot glue chopped branches back on the tree. You are not in a
hurry -- or you shouldn't be. Patience is one of the most
important parts of bonsai. Next winter/early spring, move the
tree into a bonsai pot if you want (though it will be happier if
it stays in its nursery pot while you refine the top).

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Lynn:

Lynn Smith wrote:

Good Day All,

Being new to the art of bonsai can be frusterating. I have been
advised by
our local club here to start with some nursery stock. Junipers have been
recommended due to their ease of growing and taking the abuse a
newcomer has
to go through.

I chose a Blue Star Juniper. I love the color of this plant, I picked
through them to find one that I liked the shape of and came out with one
that is slightly slanting to one side of the pot. It is quite full and
will
need lots of trimming and work on it.

I would like to know if I can pot this juniper in a bonsai pot and do
some
pruning to shape it all at once?

I just answered Sebastian on another Email, and I quote: At the bottom
of every Email is the URL for the IBC Home page. There is a wonderful
article by IBC member Herb Gustafson on styling a Juniper. Herb has
written excellent books and I highly recommend them.

From my own experience it is not a good idea to style and then work on
the roots. In the article mentioned above Herb Gutafson walks you
through the steps in styling a Juniper, so I heartily recommend that you
read the article.

I have two pots one being 8"Lx5"W and 10"Lx7 1/2"W. The juniper is in a 1
gal pot at the moment. Which of these two is the better size for this
plant?

I would not be in a hurry to place your plant into a pot until you
understand a lot more about the aesthetics and the art of Bonsai. It is
a personal choice in most cases, however there are some rules that would
help.You should read and then read some more. You develop the "feel"
for the right pot by looking at hundreds of pictures of Bonsai.

Because it is on a slant already do you plant them to one side in the
pot or
in the middle?

As I said above do not be in a hurry to transfer yourt tree nto a pot,
but in general terms, the tree would be planted slightly behind the
center and off to the side, so that the plant would lean toward the
major part of the pot.
______________
| |
| o++++++++++++
Something like this as a bird's eye view "o" beng the trunk
| |
|______________ |

Our club is quite new and there are some members that can help me if I
need
it but they are learning too. If any of you could be of assistance to
me I
would greatly appreciate it.

Have a nice day.........Lynn

Good luck and I hope this gives you some idea that you should not rush
into the complete process until you have a little more knowedge and
experience.

I hope some of the IBC members will jump in and add their experiences to
what I have suggested.

Welcome to the addiction!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Lynn Smith

In regards to my question about my blue star juniper. I live in zone 5
British Columbia Canada.

Thanks to the people whom resonded to my question, I will take the time to
read the article written about the junipers.

Thanks again :-)