Old 28-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Lynn Smith

Default [IBC] Blue Star Juniper Styled

Good evening all, I would just like to know what you all do to a tree that
was just shaped (no wire) and potted in a bonsai pot?

I just did a nursery stock Blue Star Juniper, it is a very nice semi cascade
style. Because it is one of my first bonsai (serious ones) I just wanted to
shape it by cutting and pinching. I did have a very good master at the art
of bonsai to help me but now I have it potted in a pot and it seems to be
showing a little stress from the work. I did not ask him before he left what
to do if it is showing some stress.

Our weather here is getting quite hot zone 5 B.C.. Can I place it in the
semi shade? Should I fertilize it at all and if so with what? I have been
keeping it watered well. I don't want to loose it so I would appreciate any
help that anyone could give me :-)

Lynn

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

I've learned by trial and error with the few juniper that I have
that you do NOT do the roots and the top in the same session (or
season).

I recently asked advice on a stressed juniper, and the on-list

Your tree should be in the SHADE. Morning sun for a couple of
EARLY hours is OK. Water sparingly. If you fertilize, do it
lightly. The consensus of the advice I received, on- and
off-list, was don't do ANYthing more to it until next year, or
(preferably) the year after that. Let it grow. Don't pinch.
Even leave on the new growth at the base of branches. You may
need it later. Benign neglect is the watchword.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++