Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Cherry Borers

Well i don't really know the age of the tree to be
honest. It was here when i moved in and already
established. Maybe im not the best judge of height.
Its about 3 to 4 stories tall. It makes my 10 foot
wall behind it look small. maybe 40-50 feet tall 80
was not a good estimate i guess.

Ben

wrote:
In a message dated 5/28/03 10:16:49 AM,
writes:
Yes, it is an in the ground tree; it is about 80

feet tall.

What kind of a tree is it? I can't imagine a cherry
tree 80 feet tall.
Iris

+++++

http://calendar.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Iris Cohen

Its about 3 to 4 stories tall.

What makes you think it's a cherry tree? Even if it is, a row of holes as you
describe is more likely to be nuthatches or woodpeckers. If you are not
squeamish, stick a stiff wire in the hole & see if you get anything. Also, is
there sticky sawdust outside the hole? Borers leave stuff; birds usually don't.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 29-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Ben Griffin

AH HA there is a little guy out there right now with a
red head moving up and down the tree he doesn't sound
like a woodpecker or look like woodpeckers ive seen.
But ive only seen woodpeckers move like that along a
trunk. He is eating something out of the holes. Im
sure its a cherry tree for whomever asked. The person
who originally planted it told me it was a cherry
tree. The leaf shape and type matches that of a
cherry tree as do the bark and flowers.

Ben

http://calendar.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Chinese Hackberry borers Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 3 26-02-2005 11:42 AM
[IBC] Chinese Hackberry borers followup Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 25-02-2005 06:59 PM
[IBC] Borers in Picea Michael Persiano Bonsai 6 02-12-2004 11:07 AM
Cherry Borers Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-05-2003 03:08 PM
[IBC] Kingsville Repotting/Cherry Borers Ben Griffin Bonsai 4 28-05-2003 04:20 AM