Old 25-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Chinese Hackberry borers

I seem to have borers in a Chinese Hackberry. I just found the trunk covered
with small columns of sawdust about 1/16 or less in diameter and about 1/4
inch long. I brushed them off.
Question. Can I save the tree? If the borers quit now the tree will have a
lot of little holes but will be OK. But if they keep tunneling the tree will not
last long.
The tree is just starting to bud out.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Theo

HI
I found borers the same way on a maple
Nina and the school or gardening in Geneva told me to dig with a wire
inside to try as much as possible to dig them out and than use
Marshall that is a product that can be injecteted in the holes and
watered on the soil, is absorbed by the roots poison the wood that
borers eat ..
I sealed the holes with bee wax mixed with a little of cupper sulphate
this happened 3 years ago and my maple a Deshojo ( boght in late mai
and coming from Corea is still fine no others holes discovered nor dust ..
Try to find this Marshall product or equivalentt in your market
probaly needs to be given twice to kill larvaes born from eggs
Keep the tree in quaranteen to avoid contamination

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 26-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Nina

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
I seem to have borers in a Chinese Hackberry.

Read this:

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/ENTML2/MF2218.pdf

I like the author's style, and his suggestions are sound.

Nina.

Old 26-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Tony

Hi:

Has anybody had any experience with the use of ultrasound to controll (or at
least make them unconfortable)?

Since I had borers in a picea I have been reading a bit about them.

I haven't found any evidence that comercial ultrasound devices sold to
control rodents and insects work. On the other hand, a friend who is a
luthier insists that vibration below 20 Hz or above 20.000 bothers borers a
lot, to the point of being able to drive them out of the instruments.

Obviously, working with very expensive and old instruments luthiers usually
avoid touching (physically or chemically) an instrument.

By the way, a common luthier practice to kill borers is to use x-rays.

Plants are more resistant to radiation than insects, so if you happen to be
a radiologist ...

I have an old ultrasound unit (those used in physical therapy), and hope to
play around with it and borers as soon as things wake up from winter.

Saludos,
Tony