Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 AM
James Harris

Default [IBC] Mugo Question

Sunday I bought a couple of dwarf mugo pines. One is a Pinus mugo
"Valley Cushion" and the other Pinus mugo "White Bud". The plants are in
their nursery containers.

My questions are; can I at this time of year repot these into bonsai
pots?

Is there anything that I need to look out for in repotting them?

Can I bareroot them now to get them into a good bonsai soil mix?

Once repotted can I start to style these trees at this point?

Thanks,
Jim Harris
S.E. Michigan, Zone 5b

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Bart Thomas

Give them a while (like a year) to recover from repotting before trying to
style them.

You could probably get away with removing a minor branch or two, but why
take the chance? Or, you could move it into a larger pot, just teasing out
some of the roots (but not trimming them more than accidentally).

If the pot and soil that they are in is okay for another year or so, you
might want to style, then transplant next year.

Chase Rosade says that pines do not "like" being repotted and styled at the
same time. In my experience, that's like saying you don't like being hung or
electrocuted. In short, they die.

Regards,

Bart

Old 03-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Iris Cohen

One is a Pinus mugo 'Valley Cushion' and the other Pinus mugo 'White Bud.'
The plants are in their nursery containers.
My questions are; can I at this time of year repot these into bonsai pots?

NO! From my experience, these miniature mugo pines are extremely sensitive. You
can style them now, but only repot them in early spring.

Is there anything that I need to look out for in repotting them?
Can I bareroot them now to get them into a good bonsai soil mix?

Never bareroot a pine. You can gently shake off the excess soil, but only
replace the soil around the roots gradually. After repotting, leave them in the
shade for a month.
Now somebody may say I am mistaken, but I am reporting from my experience &
what I have been taught by experts around here. (Upstate NY)

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Marty Haber

What Iris says is basically correct. All pines have finicky roots, and
mini mugos even more so. I like to transplant them when the new candles are
just beginning to show.
Marty

&
what I have been taught by experts around here. (Upstate NY)

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Miniature Mugo Pines Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 18-04-2005 10:18 AM
[IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Miniature Mugo Pines Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 18-04-2005 02:54 AM
[IBC] Mugo Pine Jerry Meislik Bonsai 19 02-10-2003 02:12 PM
[IBC] [Fwd: [IBC] Mugo Pine] Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 02-10-2003 01:22 AM
[IBC] Pino mugo seeds Jim Lewis Bonsai 11 06-06-2003 03:08 PM