Old 04-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] worms

can be earth worms be bad or just not dangerous for bonsais like
ficus or others?
Theo

I forgot this one for the FAQ:

Q: Are earthworms bad for bonsai?

A: Earthworms are beneficial organisms that improve soil properties.
However, earthworm "castings" tend to be too heavy for bonsai, and
could lead to waterlogging. Therefore, worms should be escorted out
of the bonsai pot. The real question, however, is how the earthworms
managed to survive in the bonsai pot at all; a well-draining mix is
too dry to support earthworms. You need to check that your soil
isn't already too heavy.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Jim Lewis

The real question, however, is how the earthworms
managed to survive in the bonsai pot at all; a well-draining

mix is
too dry to support earthworms. You need to check that your

soil
isn't already too heavy.

Acksherly, the REAL question is how they got there in the first
place. I find earthworms in my pots when those pots have never
TOUCHED the ground.

Spontaneous generation?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim Lewis

can be earth worms be bad or just not dangerous for bonsais
like
ficus or others?
Theo

The worms themselves are harmless. The "castings" (the soil that
passes through the worm's gut as it grinds the soil and digests
the organic particles), however, can be too fine and can clog the
pore space between your soil particles.

Submerge your pot to its rim in water. Any worms will vacate the
premises. Move the worms to the garden where they perform a
valuable service, then let your bonsai drain.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Carl L Rosner

Nina:
Maybe some birds were burying worms for "another day" ! :-D

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

can be earth worms be bad or just not dangerous for bonsais like
ficus or others?
Theo

I forgot this one for the FAQ:

Q: Are earthworms bad for bonsai?

A: Earthworms are beneficial organisms that improve soil properties.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Theo

Thanks Nina thanks Jim and Carl
for your answers
Nina where could I see your FAQ?
thanks
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

can be earth worms be bad or just not dangerous for bonsais like
ficus or others?
Theo

I forgot this one for the FAQ:

Q: Are earthworms bad for bonsai?

A: Earthworms are beneficial organisms that improve soil properties.
However, earthworm "castings" tend to be too heavy for bonsai, and
could lead to waterlogging. Therefore, worms should be escorted out
of the bonsai pot. The real question, however, is how the earthworms
managed to survive in the bonsai pot at all; a well-draining mix is
too dry to support earthworms. You need to check that your soil
isn't already too heavy.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
How can You put trust in me if I do not trust in Me?
Theo