Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 PM

Default [IBC] Bud back, Chamaecyparis

Greetings...

Yep, still around :-)
Does someone know how to bud back a Chamaecyparis, more precise a
Chamaecyparis obtusa nana.
Until now, every try I made, I have failed :-(
Help?
Thanks...

Pedro A.Pereira
Portugal

http://mail2web.com/ .

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Lisa Kanis

Sorry, Pedro, none of the Chamaecyparis backbud. The only way of keeping a
dense head of foliage is to pinch prune them mercilessly.

Lisa

" wrote in message
Greetings...

Yep, still around :-)
Does someone know how to bud back a Chamaecyparis, more precise a
Chamaecyparis obtusa nana.
Until now, every try I made, I have failed :-(
Help?
Thanks...

Pedro A.Pereira
Portugal

http://mail2web.com/ .

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Pedro Amorim Pereira

Greetings

Sorry, Pedro, none of the Chamaecyparis backbud. The only way of keeping a
dense head of foliage is to pinch prune them mercilessly.

Thank you Lisa... didn't know that!
Hmmm... I'll have to get inventive to solve my bonsai problems ;-)
Thank you once more.

Pedro Amorim Pereira _ Porto - Portugal

http://sapp.telepac.pt/bonsai-pt/
http://www.geocities.com/pedropereira.geo

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2003, 12:33 AM
kevin bailey

Sorry, Pedro, none of the Chamaecyparis backbud. The only way of
keeping a
dense head of foliage is to pinch prune them mercilessly.

I get quite good backbudding on C pisifera and C p boulevard when I open
up the trunk to sunlight by removing unwanted branches, pinching and
feeding heavily.

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Marty Haber

speaking of C.p. boulevard, how do you keep the interior branches from
browning out? Once I prune out the interiors, the rest of them carry
through well enough for the season; but I wish I could prevent the browning
process.
Marty
Sorry, Pedro, none of the Chamaecyparis backbud. The only way of

keeping a
dense head of foliage is to pinch prune them mercilessly.

I get quite good backbudding on C pisifera and C p boulevard when I open
up the trunk to sunlight by removing unwanted branches, pinching and
feeding heavily.

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

---

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-06-2003, 10:56 AM
kevin bailey

It seems to be largely a matter of adequate light. The shaded parts
continually die away on landscape specimens and this habit is carried
through into bonsai. The answer lies largely in developing thin pads of
foliage that are continually pinched to prevent them creating any depth
that will shade the lower parts.

It is one of those species that once let go it is very difficult to
bring them back without a dramatic restyling and/or a total redesign.

Hope this helps

Kev Bailey

Old 14-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Lisa Kanis

Kevin, I get backbudding on semi-hardwood, but never on old wood, and it's
not for want of light. Even those that have been put back into the ground
refuse absolutely to show any sign of life on old wood, even after 2 years
of t.l.c. in a climate that the Hinoki likes.

Lisa