Old 27-07-2003, 06:12 AM
randi sharp

Default [IBC] Chamaecyparis obtusa

I have a nursery stock Chamaecyparis obtusa that was moved from the nursery pot to a training pot in the spring 2002. Spring 2003 I did some elementary styling and wired the larger lower branches to start basic styling and direct the branch growth. In
the past few weeks, with the weather turning hotter, I've noticed that where the copper wire is closer to the foliage, there seems to be a higher incidence of the foliage turning brown than any where else on the the tree. This is also the oldest foliage o
n the tree.

My question -could the browning of foliage near the wire be a direct result of the sun heating the wire to a level where the foliage is damaged by the heat...OR is it more likely just older foliage dying out? All other foliage on the tree is lush and gre
en. I have moved the tree to a slightly shaded area of the benches and am debating as to removing the wire from the area of brown foliage. Thoughts?

Randi Sharp
Richmond, VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++