Old 16-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o(

Hi,

Ive had a Ligustrum (privet) for a few months now and it seemed

fine...then
its leaves started turning brown and falling off.......I

checked, found it
was pot bound, trimmed the roots (very carefull as this was my

first time),
I then left it and it seemed to be doing fine again, but now

the leaves are
turning.

Can some kind person point me in the right diretion??

Most Ligustrum get pot bound at least twice a year. There's no
need to be particularly gentle with them.

A couple of questions:

1. Which Ligustrum? Oval, pale green, dull-surfaced leaves? (L.
sinensis) Oval, pointed tip, dark green, glossy leaves (L.
japonicum)? Other? (There are gazillions of kinds of
Ligustrum.)
2. How long ago did you trim the roots?

3. What is your watering regime?

4. How have you fertilized?

5. Where do you live?

6. Where do you keep the plant? Indoors? Outdoors? They will
NOT do well indoors.

7. Are leaves turning bright yellow?

8. How large is the plant?

9. Is it in a bonsai pot, and if so is it a small on relative to
the size of the tree?

I have half a dozen L. sinensis bonsai from mame to nearly
two-hand trees. Ligustrum are among the toughest plants on
earth. They DO get white fly, which can damage leaves, but since
you didn't mention bugs, that's probably not the problem.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Growing
desperate: Pleeeaaassseee . . .DO NOT USE AN APOSTROPHE TO MAKE
A PLURAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Derek

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Hi,

Ive had a Ligustrum (privet) for a few months now and it seemed

fine...then
its leaves started turning brown and falling off.......I

checked, found it
was pot bound, trimmed the roots (very carefull as this was my

first time), I then left it and it seemed to be doing fine again, but now
the leaves are turning.

Can some kind person point me in the right diretion??

Most Ligustrum get pot bound at least twice a year. There's no
need to be particularly gentle with them.

A couple of questions:

1. Which Ligustrum? Oval, pale green, dull-surfaced leaves? (L.
sinensis) Oval, pointed tip, dark green, glossy leaves (L.
japonicum)? Other? (There are gazillions of kinds of
Ligustrum.)

L.Japonicum (I think)

2. How long ago did you trim the roots?

About 3 weeeks ago

3. What is your watering regime?

I water everynight

4. How have you fertilized?

No

5. Where do you live?

Mid East England

6. Where do you keep the plant? Indoors? Outdoors? They will
NOT do well indoors.

Outdoors

7. Are leaves turning bright yellow?

No...just brown

8. How large is the plant?

Its young...approx 8 ins high

9. Is it in a bonsai pot, and if so is it a small on relative to
the size of the tree?

Yes it is in a bonsai pot and no it isnt small.....I thinbk I chose the

pot with care )

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question] Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 11:07 AM
[IBC] ligustrum Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 07-01-2004 10:42 AM
[IBC] privets ligustrum Matthew Avritt Bonsai 2 20-09-2003 03:10 AM
[IBC] ligustrum leaves Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-07-2003 01:12 PM
Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Derek Bonsai 0 16-06-2003 06:05 PM