Old 26-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] ligustrum leaves

hello folks

my indoor ligustrum has not been looking too well of late.

while there
appears to be some growth, many of the leaves have become

crinkled and
curled. does anyone know what's causing this?

First, there's no such thing as an "indoor Ligustrum." That may
be the major reason. They are high-light requirements, outdoor
plants.

Second, you are far more likely to get aphids or mites (or other
sap-sucking insects) indoors than outdoors; the symptoms you
describe are typical of those kinds of insects, usually aphids or
mites (though I've never seen either on any of my dozen or so L.
sinensis -- just lots of whitefly. However, whitefly, being
sucking insects also could provoke those symptoms, though I'd
think you would have mentioned clouds of white thingies flying up
whenever you touch the tree.

Finally, they'd rather be kept with roots on the dry side, so
don't overwater. And they need repotting twice a year, unless
kept in a too-large pot (in which case be doubly careful of your
watering).

I'd recommend that you get it outdoors (even on a windowsill) in
at least all-morning sun. An insecticidal soap will take care of
most of the sucking insects after 2-3 applications. A
pyrethrum-based spray will do it quicker, but also harms "good"
insects.

Good luck.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question] Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 11:07 AM
[IBC] ligustrum Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 07-01-2004 10:42 AM
[IBC] privets ligustrum Matthew Avritt Bonsai 2 20-09-2003 03:10 AM
ligustrum leaves Chris Blackford Bonsai 1 26-07-2003 04:04 PM
[IBC] Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-06-2003 07:20 AM