Old 06-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Conor Sipe

Default [IBC] ligustrum

I had a question about my Ligustrum chinensis that I thought I would throw
out to the list. The thing is growing like a weed, but I am somewhat
concerned about it losing leaves. In fact, I became really concerned when a
cutting that I was rooting lost its leaves around the same time. In various
places around the plant, leaf tips turn brown and crispy...this slowly
proceeds up the leaf until it eventually falls off. It continues to throw
out new growth, so I'm wondering if it is normal. I keep the plant indoors
in front of a window that gets partial sun (about 4 feet back from it). If
anybody had any wisdom, I would really appreciate the help!

Conor Sipe
Toano, VA
Zone 7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 06-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Jim Lewis

I had a question about my Ligustrum chinensis that I thought I
would throw
out to the list. The thing is growing like a weed, but I am
somewhat
concerned about it losing leaves. In fact, I became really
concerned when a
cutting that I was rooting lost its leaves around the same time.
In various
places around the plant, leaf tips turn brown and crispy...this
slowly
proceeds up the leaf until it eventually falls off. It continues
to throw
out new growth, so I'm wondering if it is normal. I keep the
plant indoors
in front of a window that gets partial sun (about 4 feet back
from it). If
anybody had any wisdom, I would really appreciate the help!

==========

Ligustrum chinensis is a very tough plant, but 4 feet from a
window is NOT going to provide enough light. That may well be
contributing to the leaf loss. The tree is struggling to
compensate by putting out more leaves. It will exhaust itself if
it has to continually do this.

As Nina says, they are deciduous and should lose leaves in the
winter. However, they are NOT outdoor plants. L. chinensis is
hardy from zone 7 south. I have no idea where your part of VA
is, but if it is in the "lowlands" your tree should be able to
survive outside with a little protection.

The browning of the leaves also sounds like you may be watering
too much.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Day to All,
Conor,

maybe this will help.I live in the tropics and have
ligustrums from Louisiana and China through
London.They love it down here.

Essentially evergreen and needing to be re-potted
twice or three times a year depending on how small
the pot is.

This is the type often displayed by Jim Lewis on the
IBC's gallery.

There are only two situations that will kill a ligustrum
down here,poor drainage,and leaf cutting parasol
ants[bachac].
Enjoy your ligustrum,this is one of the most beautiful
shrubs that one can grow as a Bonsai.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

Sunny,cool and getting drier with lotsa a wind.

I had a question about my Ligustrum chinensis that I thought I would throw
out to the list. The thing is growing like a weed, but I am somewhat
concerned about it losing leaves. In fact, I became really concerned when a
cutting that I was rooting lost its leaves around the same time. In various
places around the plant, leaf tips turn brown and crispy...this slowly
proceeds up the leaf until it eventually falls off. It continues to throw
out new growth, so I'm wondering if it is normal. I keep the plant indoors
in front of a window that gets partial sun (about 4 feet back from it). If
anybody had any wisdom, I would really appreciate the help!

Conor Sipe
Toano, VA
Zone 7

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question] Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 11:07 AM
[IBC] privets ligustrum Matthew Avritt Bonsai 2 20-09-2003 03:10 AM
[IBC] ligustrum query Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 30-07-2003 08:02 PM
[IBC] ligustrum leaves Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-07-2003 01:12 PM
[IBC] Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-06-2003 07:20 AM