Old 25-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim Wilson

Default [IBC] ants

do ants help bonsai by
removing the sticky leaf goo
left by aphids ? let them munch
or not ?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

do ants help bonsai by
removing the sticky leaf goo
left by aphids ? let them munch
or not ?

Not. Ants actually "milk" aphids, getting the honeydew straight from
the tap. And they will promote more aphids, and your tree will get
stickier and stickier. Protect the soil surface, then wash the whole
plant in a hard stream of water, to remove ants, aphids and goo. If
your bonsai is outdoors, you'll have to move it to keep the ants
away, or else put "tanglefoot" on your bonsai table legs. However,
that would be trading one sticky problem for another.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 03:44 PM
dalecochoy

Old 26-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Anyway, I'm not familiar with tanglefoot. Is this a spay?

You still have cats on your mind......

If so, I'm
thinking it might do the trick with ants climbing my humming bird feeder
bamboo pole hanger and getting into the feeder.?

They used to be a company that just sold gooey stuff. But they've
branched out: I found their website:

http://www.tanglefoot.com/

You indicate what kind of pest you have, and they tell which product
of theirs will solve the problem. For "ants", you can buy a gizmo to
wind around tree trunks (or poles, I suppose), and then paint with a
tub of "gunk" that will trap anything that walks over it. If you
type in "deer", you get a holographic mylar ribbon.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-06-2003, 07:24 PM
dalecochoy

Nina,
You made me think ( improvise). I'm going to try spraying bottoms of legs
I use a bamboo tripod as holder) with some of that sticky spray for
mounting pictures, etc.
Dale
P.S. Looking forward to scraping ant carc-i off the posts!

Anyway, I'm not familiar with tanglefoot. Is this a spay?

If so, I'm
thinking it might do the trick with ants climbing my humming bird feeder
bamboo pole hanger and getting into the feeder.?

They used to be a company that just sold gooey stuff. But they've
branched out: I found their website:

http://www.tanglefoot.com/

You indicate what kind of pest you have, and they tell which product
of theirs will solve the problem. For "ants", you can buy a gizmo to
wind around tree trunks (or poles, I suppose), and then paint with a
tub of "gunk" that will trap anything that walks over it. If you
type in "deer", you get a holographic mylar ribbon.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
[IBC] ants Colin Horn Bonsai 6 06-02-2004 07:42 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM