Old 26-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Those Bonsai Magazines

Maybe I am reading the wrong magazines. I have two pet peeves.
One is that they have this photo essay of the Big Expert who takes a $3000, 300
year old juniper with lots of deadwood & turns it into a masterpiece. I need an
article which tells me how to turn a $25 juniper in a 4 inch pot into a
masterpiece.
The other problem is that the books & magazines have step by step articles on
how to take a tree from day one over a period of six years & turn it into a
bonsai. But either I didn't have this tree six years ago, or I didn't have the
magazine six years ago, and the tree is six years old. I need an article that
tells me what to do with it today, not what I should have done six years ago.
Sometimes you can extrapolate, but it is usually difficult to tell what is
going on when you walk into the middle of Act Three, Scene Two.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Reiner Goebel

Iris Cohen wrote:

I need an
article which tells me how to turn a $25 juniper in a 4 inch pot into a
masterpiece.

There are a few developmental series at http://www.rgbonsai.com,
although not specifically with junipers. I hope to expand that section
in the not too distant future.

The other problem is that the books & magazines have step by step articles on
how to take a tree from day one over a period of six years & turn it into a
bonsai. But either I didn't have this tree six years ago, or I didn't have the
magazine six years ago, and the tree is six years old. I need an article that
tells me what to do with it today, not what I should have done six years ago.
Sometimes you can extrapolate, but it is usually difficult to tell what is
going on when you walk into the middle of Act Three, Scene Two.

With any untouched tree, you start with the beginning of Act One, Scene
One. You seem to expect books to give step-by-step instructions on
exactly the plant you have right down to branch placement and trunk
size. Obviously, that can't be.

Reiner Goebel
Toronto, Canada
http://www.rgbonsai.com
Old 13-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Iris Cohen

You seem to expect books to give step-by-step instructions on exactly the
plant you have right down to branch placement and trunk size. Obviously, that
can't be. BRBR

I can wish, can't I? ;-)
Meanwhile, I go to open workshops whenever possible, bringing my Act Three,
Scene Two trees with me.
Several people suggested Bonsai Europe. I haven't seen it in this country, and
they want $10 for a sample copy. I am sticking with International Bonsai.