Old 26-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Those Bonsai Magazines

Iris Cohen wrote:

Maybe I am reading the wrong magazines. I have two pet peeves.
One is that they have this photo essay of the Big Expert who takes a $3000, 300
year old juniper with lots of deadwood & turns it into a masterpiece. I need an
article which tells me how to turn a $25 juniper in a 4 inch pot into a
masterpiece.

Probably. I´ve found Bonsai Europe to be more in line with what you´re
looking for. Of course there are fantastic yamadori-trees styled in
incredible ways but also quite common nursery stock trained to bonsai.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Maybe I am reading the wrong magazines.

I share your feelings, Iris, although I don't think you could sell
magazines by exclusively showing mediocre nursery stock transformed
into transplant-shocked wired-up mummies. But.....

That's what clubs are for! I learn absolutely nothing from
photo-spreads of gigantic collected trees turned into gigantic carved
museum pieces. But I learn a tremendous amount from seeing the bonsai
of friends develop over a period of years. I see what they did,
compared to what I did with a similar tree (which might have
collected on the same trip or at the same nursery). Also, friends
are great for studying your tree and making cryptic comments like
"Oh. I see you removed *that* branch. Hmmm. Interesting choice."
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 04:20 PM
dalecochoy

Old 26-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Craig Cowing

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Maybe I am reading the wrong magazines.

snip

That's what clubs are for! I learn absolutely nothing from
photo-spreads of gigantic collected trees turned into gigantic carved
museum pieces. But I learn a tremendous amount from seeing the bonsai
of friends develop over a period of years. I see what they did,
compared to what I did with a similar tree (which might have
collected on the same trip or at the same nursery). Also, friends
are great for studying your tree and making cryptic comments like
"Oh. I see you removed *that* branch. Hmmm. Interesting choice."
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

The thing I learn from articles in Bonsai Today, for instance, is not how to make
one of my trees look like one of theirs, but how to look at a tree. For instance,
a number of articles in BT include very detailed descriptions of why the artist
chose a particular angle of planting, factors that went into the decision about the
front, etc. For me, paint-by-the-numbers doesn't work. I want to design my trees
to look good, with designs that work artistically. Looking exclusively at pictures
of trees that are at the same level as mine won't do it. I need to have goals to
work towards. Having images of well-developed trees, along with seeing others'
trees, does this for me.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

Old 26-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Maybe I am reading the wrong magazines. I have two pet peeves.
One is that they have this photo essay of the Big Expert who

takes a $3000, 300
year old juniper with lots of deadwood & turns it into a

masterpiece. I need an
article which tells me how to turn a $25 juniper in a 4 inch

pot into a
masterpiece.

I tend to agree, Iris. I had a brief discussion with someone on
this not long ago about Bonsai Today, after I complained about
issue #84 (which I did NOT buy):

It seems to me that the how-to-do it stuff on trees are
increasingly getting to cover repair and maintenance of trees
that 99% of BT readers will never own, and will seldom see, much
less have cause to do. The massive surgery on some of the trees
in the 4-parter in #84 is an extreme case in point. First, I
really doubt that any of those trees will survive that kind of
torture for more than a few years, and second, the folks who buy
magazines and read them avidly aren't capable for the most (read
MOST) part of undertaking that kind of operation. The folks who
ARE capable have no need for a how-to magazine.

Most of BT's readers aren't taking a good bonsai and making it
better. They're struggling to create a bonsai from untrained
nursery stock. They wouldn't DARE cut off as much root as most
of the BT articles would have them do (for example). And if they
tried to do it, they'd lose the tree because they don't know yet
how trees (or radishes) grow.

There also seems to be a growing amount of hero worship in the
text; I thought the writer of the piece on Kimura's tree in #84
was going to be shown kissing his feet! Now, you know that I am
NOT a Kimura fan, so take that with that amount of salt, but
still it is blatant kiss ass to keep calling him "the master."
I've begun to wonder if he owns part of the Japanese parent of
the magazine.

When I buy BT today, I do it primarily for the gallery, but even
those seem (except for Ernie's trees in this issue) to be
lacking. I think it was #83 that had galleries of European
trees??? I, at least, thought those were decidedly inferior.
(Mota's olives in #82, on the other had, were excellent.)

You're right, I'm only one person, but the feeling is shared by a
couple of folks in my local club. The BTs stocked by the local
Borders have gone largely unsold the last few issues. I think 82
sold out (they only get 3!), but 83 did not, and 84 is
languishing. The club bought one copy of it to raffle off at our
show last weekend -- ONE ticket (!). (We made $75 on raffle
tickets.)

In sum: Traditionally, BT is great at how-to articles, but the
more recent issues _seem_ to be presenting how-to info on stuff
most folks won't (or can't) use. Maybe they think all the basics
have been covered, but as you can see from the IBC, folks need to
know the basics. Of the other magazines easily available in the
USA, International Bonsai is the only one that presents as much
informative material as BT (ABS and BCI are too filled with
organizational stuff). At least recently, IB's material has been
more useful.

That's the end of my earlier diatribe. I noted recently that the
current BT #85 seems to be more back on track. It even has a
useful beginner article on pinching and trimming. The early
issues (which no one can find anymore) had a lot of beginner-type
stuff in them; maybe today they can at least have an article or
two that doesn't feature some mega-star working on a mega-tree.
It's kind a like Ma Housewife reading about Lucy Liu's beauty
secrets: YOU WISH!

The other problem is that the books & magazines have step by

step articles on
how to take a tree from day one over a period of six years &

turn it into a
bonsai. But either I didn't have this tree six years ago, or I

didn't have the
magazine six years ago, and the tree is six years old. I need

an article that
tells me what to do with it today, not what I should have done

six years ago.
Sometimes you can extrapolate, but it is usually difficult to

tell what is
going on when you walk into the middle of Act Three, Scene Two.

I'm sure you're familiar with Bill V's International Bonsai.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:44 AM

Sometimes you can extrapolate, but it is usually difficult to tell what is
going on when you walk into the middle of Act Three, Scene Two.

I'm sure you're familiar with Bill V's International Bonsai.

I'd better be; Bill is my teacher. Occasionally I write for it.
I got some interesting responses, pro & con. By the way, I also get peeved at
the articles in the Real Estate section of the Sunday paper that tell how
these high-paid professionals decorate their $300,000 house. I need more
information on what retired people do with a 50-year-old, $76,000 ranch. When Martha
Stewart gets out of jail, she can come and paint my woodwork.
Act Three, Scene Two, extrapolation. I have (I'm drawing a blank on the
author's name) The Art of Flowering Bonsai. I read the chapter on crabapple
several times & didn't get a whole lot out of it. Then just recently, I read it
again & saw the part on wiring secondary branches. Hey, that's where my tree is
right now! Next week I will get busy & wire it.
Iris