Old 26-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Jim S

Default [IBC] Air Layer Question

I know it depends on the amount of foliage, but if the platic wrap around
the wet moss is completely sealed, is it common to have to re-wet it? It's
a bit difficult to get to, so I don't want to unravel it unless I really
need to. It's been about 3 weeks since I did it. It's an elm, by the way.

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-06-2003, 09:44 PM
kevin bailey

Even with a very good seal there is likely to be some loss of moisture
through evaporation. This will be more pronounced if you use black
plastic to absorb solar radiationto warm the layer. I test for moisture
with a gentle squeeze. You can generally tell, by how soft the moss
feels, whether it needs watering or not. When it does I use a syringe
from my inkjet refill pack to squirt a few "doses" of water in. Usually
only once or twice is necessary until adequate roots have formed.

Moisture hungry types like Wisteria will form roots very rapidly and
soon dry out if not watched, in my experience. Elm less so.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I know it depends on the amount of foliage, but if the platic wrap
around
the wet moss is completely sealed, is it common to have to re-wet it?
It's
a bit difficult to get to, so I don't want to unravel it unless I really
need to. It's been about 3 weeks since I did it. It's an elm, by the
way.

Thanks,

Jim

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

I know it depends on the amount of foliage, but if the platic wrap
around
the wet moss is completely sealed, is it common to have to re-wet it?
It's
a bit difficult to get to, so I don't want to unravel it unless I really
need to. It's been about 3 weeks since I did it. It's an elm, by the
way.

Thanks,

Jim

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

I'm working with Ficus Bengiminas and a parsley leafed aralia .. any
ideas on how long those should take?