Old 28-06-2003, 06:42 AM
James Quinan

Default Air Layering Liqidambar Styracifuna

Hi everyone. I just bought this wonderful Liquidamber Styracifuna. It's got
a great trunk with good taper and is starting to develop a really
interesting cork on the bark, and has almost perfect branches; the classic
spiral up the trunk. It's dormant at the moment, and was just repotted at
the nursery. I want to trunk chop it just above the 6th branch I intend
keeping, which will make it about 14" or so high at the chop. I want to air
layer it above where I intend to chop it so I can get another great tree.
I'm in Newcastle Australia (Zone 9 I think) and its mid winter here,
although it's still very mild.

First Question: When is the best time to air layer a Liquidambar? It is like
cuttings, best done in early/mid spring? Or can I go ahead and do it now?

Second Question: I want to wire some of the branches now while they're still
quite supple, as the tend to point upwards and I want them more horizontal.
Should I wait till after the chop or do it now?

Third Question: I haven't taken it out of the pot yet to check its roots. As
it's dormant, would it be a problem to do a bit of a root prune now? Or
would it be better to wait until I do the trunk chop?My main concern is that
it was just repotted at the nursery, so it may already be too stressed for
any more work at this point.

Thanks in advance. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Air Layering Liqidambar Styracifuna Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 28-06-2003 03:08 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM