Old 29-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Sean Nemecek

Default [IBC] Collecting Yews

I have been given the opportunity to collect a couple of large yews. The only catch is that I have to do it in the next couple of weeks. Am I wasting my time collecting them this time of year?

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

They stand four feet tall by three feet wide. They are growing in sandy
loamy soil. I should be able to get most of the root ball on each and
re-plant them right away (waiting until next spring to work on them).

Give them more time than that to establish themselves. I'm far from an
expert at tree survival on collected trees, but I suspect that if you lift
them now (heat of summer????), they'll need more than until next Spring to
be solid enough to get work on.

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net
"A community that excludes even one of its members is no community at all"
- Dan Wilkins

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Sean Nemecek

I'm dubious, but if it's the type of situation where they are going to be

ripped out of the ground and tossed aside unless you dig them up, then there
isn't much to lose.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a sunset 37

That is exactly the situation. I guess the possibility of success is worth
the effort in this case.

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Sean Nemecek

David wrote,

How large are they, and in what soil conditions are they growing?

Old 29-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Jim Lewis

David wrote,

How large are they, and in what soil conditions are they

growing?

They stand four feet tall by three feet wide. They are

growing in sandy
loamy soil. I should be able to get most of the root ball on

each and
re-plant them right away (waiting until next spring to work on

them).

IF they survive, I'd wait a year or so beyond that!

Old 29-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Craig Cowing

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

They stand four feet tall by three feet wide. They are growing in sandy
loamy soil. I should be able to get most of the root ball on each and
re-plant them right away (waiting until next spring to work on them).

Give them more time than that to establish themselves. I'm far from an
expert at tree survival on collected trees, but I suspect that if you lift
them now (heat of summer????), they'll need more than until next Spring to
be solid enough to get work on.

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net
"A community that excludes even one of its members is no community at all"
- Dan Wilkins

Good point. I'd put them in the ground, mulch them well, and let them sit there for
all of next year. A good solid year in the ground will go a long way to recovery.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jay Sinclair

I collected 3 at about this time of year a couple of years ago. One is still alive, and looking healthy. These trees, though, had been pretty thoroughly brutalized, ripped from the ground, and were
minutes from the dumpster when I rescued them. If you take reasonable care, dig a good sized rootball, and plant them in a relatively sheltered place, I think your chances are good enough to
warrant the effort. I haven't done anything to the survivor in terms of styling at this point - maybe next year.

Jay
Zone 5ish, SE Michigan USA

--
Peace, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-06-2003, 01:56 AM
David J. Bockman

I would treat them as nursery stock or field grown stock, meaning ball &
burlap tightly the roots, then right back into the ground at your place.
Mulch and water in well and hope for the best!

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com