Old 01-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Sean Nemecek

Default [IBC] Cut paste

I was looking in the archives to find some guidance about the use of cut paste. I just finished a trunk chop and decided not to use any paste or sealer. After reading the archives I am confused. There seem to be contradictory schools of thought. Can an
yone offer any help? My mind is going in circles (seems to be doing that more and more).

Sean Nemecek - Cadillac, MI - Zone 4b or 5a

"True ingenuity values love for itself."
- John Howe from "Of Delighting in God"

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

At 08:43 PM 6/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
I was looking in the archives to find some guidance about the use of cut
paste. I just finished a trunk chop and decided not to use any paste or
sealer. After reading the archives I am confused. There seem to be
contradictory schools of thought. Can anyone offer any help?

Well Sean, we're all beyond help here ;-)

My mind is going in circles

The fact of the matter is, everyone likes to use different method based on
their own experiences. I don't use cut paste. But I use Elmer glue in
some cases.

shrug

Do what feels right. IF nothing feels right, trial and error will teach
you ;-)

Nicolas
http://www.bmee.net
"A community that excludes even one of its members is no community at all"
- Dan Wilkins

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-07-2003, 02:23 AM
Andy Rutledge

I was looking in the archives to find some guidance about the use of cut
paste. I just finished a trunk chop and decided not to use any paste or
sealer. After reading the archives I am confused. There seem to be
contradictory schools of thought. Can anyone offer any help? My mind is
going in circles (seems to be doing that more and more).
Sean Nemecek
------------------

Sure. Bonsai is an aesthetic endeavor. Using cut paste gives you the best
chance of a wound healing properly (read: visually pleasing) and not using
cut pasted is almost always a bad idea (read: ultimately visually not
pleasing). Use cut paste on all cuts larger than a pea. No confusion
necessary. ;-)

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 AM
JRA BONSAI

Sean,

Aesthetics aside, cut paste or the equivalent is critical for most large
deciduous wounds. The larger the wound, the more important the sealer. Fast
grow ABOVE the cut means fast healing of the wound. Slow growth ABOVE the
wound may result in poor healing, even with cut paste. I prefer the kind in the
small white jar that resembles modeling clay. It will last through several
growing seasons and peel away from the protected area as the callous closes
over. I seldom use it on conifers.

Julian Adams
Adams' Bonsai
Lynchburg, VA