Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
John NJ

Default [IBC] Drip Works System?

I'm looking for an automatic watering system to use on the trees if I am
away for a few days. Has anyone used the Drip Works system? Brent at
Evergreen Gardenworks mentioned them in one of his articles.

Are there any other automatic systems available? Would a regular sprinkler
hooked up to a timer work just as well?

Thanks, John - NJ

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Corcoran. Bil

John:

I have a medium sized Dripworks system setup on my deck to water Bonsai
as well as hanging baskets and even a small garden below it. I've been
very happy with the setup and after some tweaking over the first season
I have it all working the way I like it now. I did not use one of their
kits. I pieced it together myself for my application.

I decided against a standard hose sprinkler for several reasons. I
didn't want to spray my furniture, I didn't like how the sprinkler
blasted some of my smaller bonsai and under-watered some of the larger
ones and it simply was not large enough to water everything.

Bil
NE-PA

== I'm looking for an automatic watering system to use on the trees if
I am
== away for a few days. Has anyone used the Drip Works system? Brent
at
== Evergreen Gardenworks mentioned them in one of his articles.
==
== Are there any other automatic systems available? Would a regular
== sprinkler
== hooked up to a timer work just as well?
==
== Thanks, John - NJ
==
==
==
==
==
== __________________________________________________ _______________
== MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.
==
==
==
== ********
== ++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen Gardenworks++++
==
== ********
== -- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
==
== +++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Jim Lewis

I'm looking for an automatic watering system to use on the
trees if I am
away for a few days. Has anyone used the Drip Works system?

Brent at
Evergreen Gardenworks mentioned them in one of his articles.

Are there any other automatic systems available? Would a

regular sprinkler
hooked up to a timer work just as well?

Thanks, John - NJ

DripWorks is not an *automatic* system. The company makes
watering and irrigation systems that include drip emitters and
spray emitters attached to a network of tubing which in turn is
attached to a water source, where -- if you want to make it
automatic -- you purchase and install a timer, either
battery-operated, or tied to an electrical system.

I use Dripworks systems for my Oriental Garden, my bonsai, and
for the perennial/blueberry/annual gardens out in the yard. The
Oriental garden and bonsai are on a Gilmour electronic timer --
battery operated. The other gardens are manual. I use
Dripworks' Spectrum, full circle adjustable sprayers, and I find
it quite satisfactory, through I might use other kinds of
sprayers or emitters if/when I adjust/revise/expand my system.
Of course, the automatic system is as good as your batteries are
fresh. The booklet with mine says the batteries should run it
for a year, but I replace them every 6 months.

There are other kinds of sprinkler systems and timers -- Lowes
and Home Depot sell something similar, that should do as well.
Dripworks has a website -- www.dripworksusa.com -- and a paper
catalog (recommended) that you can get at 1-800-522-3747. I have
NO connection with the company, other than a reasonably happy
customer (and I did not purchase through the company, but
locally).

You need to take the timer off line in winter to protect from
freezes, and if your winters are very severe, you may have to
disassemble the entire system, but I have no experience in that
situation. I use my sprayers all year -- without the automation
in winter. I sometimes run them all night when a "severe" (for
us) freeze is expected.

David Thoreau - Walden