Old 15-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Theo

Default [IBC] Admin -- just in case you were wondering; a snapshot of the

how can one become member?
Thanks
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

Here's a breakdown of IBC membership. Unfortunately, all "COM"
addresses are
listed as USA, but who knows?????

This is only the mailing list. There are approx 200 more folks
who read regularly via rec.arts.bonsai, plus the odd occasional
visitor.

* Country Subscribers
* ------- -----------
* Australia 11
* Belgium 1
* Canada 23
* Cocos (Keeling) Islands 1
* Cuba 1
* Germany 5
* Great Britain 16
* Greece 1
* Indonesia 1
* Ireland 1
* Italy 3
* Luxembourg 1
* Malaysia 1
* Mexico 1
* Netherlands 2
* Norway 1
* Pakistan 1
* Philippines 1
* Poland 1
* Portugal 5
* Romania 2
* Slovenia 1
* South Africa 6
* Spain 2
* Sweden 5
* Switzerland 1
* Trinidad and Tobago 1
* USA 464
* Venezuela 2
*
587 total, plus or minus at any given moment

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager, wondering who is from the Cocos Islands and what he or
she grows.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--

* Think like an Alien &discovery your own planet*

Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Theo

HI
I am Italian born and lived more than half of my life in Switzerland

The main problem is that most of Italians speak poorly foreign languages mostly
german or spanish
and English is not very much pushed in school even if programs are excellent ( by
personal experience)
I follow the Italian Bonsai NG as well here, and I was wondering who were these
3 compatriots or maby 2 as I coudl be one of the3 posting here..
I know very little of the Italian Bonsai scene.
In Switzerland Bonsai craze is almost over most of garden centers that had
some nice stuff few years ago moved to mallsai sales but still at fairly hight
price for their quality . and very little as variety .. they have mainly
carmonas of Ficus or some japanese maples but just coming out of the growing
fields nice trunks sometimes but all has to be built up and will be 10 years
before having something nice! ( can show picture of one I just bought and that had
borers ) prices mine in a garden center sort of supermaklet chain was 150$ the
same in an better garden center same size. varietey . and round pot color , an
soil ( pozzolana ) was
350$ up to 500$

20 years ago when I started with Bonsai I run into some selling points in Milano
and I was really astounded by the high quality and perfection of the goods they
were selling .. & teh size of them .. stuff ranging from 5-6-8 k us$
Few years ago I was again in Milano at Parabiago the only amazing things were
high prices for small stuff
a GoyoMatsu pentaphilla in a 5 gallon plastic container about 4-5 ft tall was
800 us .....
I could have bought a cape gardenia I found near Penny Station in a small
bonsai shop in NY for 55$ and the same in Parabiago was over 250$ few months
later .. & same size
I never have been to shows and so on ,there are so many but I have heard that the
Italian Bonsai scene is quite of quality.. but I wish to see with my eyes before
agree.
In the last 7 years, the quality sunk, what is offered in different selling
points today is in my opinion the best of what might have been considered the
worse only 7 years ago ..
Actually I buy stock from garden centers for 25 -35 us $ and is quite
reasonable but for instance a Desojojo maple in a gallon contaner a real mess
just good for the plain soil garden as bushy goes 120 -150 us$ for 4-5 ft
size

Theo

Iris Cohen wrote:

Italy which probably is the no 1 bonsai country
in Europe at the moment has only three members.

As far as I know, there are bonsai newsgroups in Italian, French, and Spanish.
Probably others we don't hear about. Also, I believe there is at least one UK
newsgroup, which would make sense, because their climate conditions, plant
availability, & other considerations are quite different from ours. And believe
it or not, the language is not the same. I thought I was losing it a few years
ago when some Europeans in another newsgroup insisted on calling Alcis alcis an
elk instead of a moose. When I protested that an elk is Cervis elephas, they
said no. I forget what they call it over there.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

--

* Think like an Alien &discovery your own planet*

Old 15-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim Lewis

how can one become member?
Thanks
Theo

Theo,

You already ARE a member. You come to us through
rec.arts.bonsai, which is linked directly to the mailing list,
whose makeup was summarized here.

And we're glad to have you.

Old 15-07-2003, 10:07 PM
Theo

HI Matteo there is ONLY one good valid site with excellent and competent
smiling people :-)
free.it.arte.bonsai and it getting better all the time
take care
Theo

Matteo Scarabelli wrote:

The same probably goes for some of the european
countries. Little Sweden with only a couple of hundred bonsai growers
(and a lot less really serious about the art) have the same amount of
members as Germany, and Italy wich probably is the no 1 bonsai country
in europe at the moment has only three members.

Hi Henrik,
is Italy really no 1 country in europe about bonsai? why?
About the NG: yes, there are only 3 members here, but in italy we
have 2 NG: and free.it.bonsai and I know at least
30 "members" in the first one, and 15 in the second...

Matteo
Pavia, Italy

--

Think like an Alien and visit your own Planet
Theo