Old 15-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Admin -- just in case you were wondering; a snapshot of the IBC

Here's a breakdown of IBC membership. Unfortunately, all "COM"
addresses are
listed as USA, but who knows?????

This is only the mailing list. There are approx 200 more folks
who read regularly via rec.arts.bonsai, plus the odd occasional
visitor.

* Country Subscribers
* ------- -----------
* Australia 11
* Belgium 1
* Canada 23
* Cocos (Keeling) Islands 1
* Cuba 1
* Germany 5
* Great Britain 16
* Greece 1
* Indonesia 1
* Ireland 1
* Italy 3
* Luxembourg 1
* Malaysia 1
* Mexico 1
* Netherlands 2
* Norway 1
* Pakistan 1
* Philippines 1
* Poland 1
* Portugal 5
* Romania 2
* Slovenia 1
* South Africa 6
* Spain 2
* Sweden 5
* Switzerland 1
* Trinidad and Tobago 1
* USA 464
* Venezuela 2
*
587 total, plus or minus at any given moment

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager, wondering who is from the Cocos Islands and what he or
she grows.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 AM
p.aradi

Jim:

It is interesting that there are no members from Japan, China,
Korea or Taiwan, all MAJOR bonsai countries.

Cheers.

Peter Aradi
Tulsa, Oklahoma

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-07-2003, 10:14 AM
wsallen

Jim Lewis wrote in message 002701c34a6e$29fb5120$64112cc7@pavilion...
Here's a breakdown of IBC membership. Unfortunately, all "COM"
addresses are
listed as USA, but who knows?????

This is only the mailing list. There are approx 200 more folks
who read regularly via rec.arts.bonsai, plus the odd occasional
visitor.

* Country Subscribers
* ------- -----------
* Australia 11
* Belgium 1
* Canada 23
* Cocos (Keeling) Islands 1

snip

Cocos Islands are part of Australia :+)

Heidi Aussie a reader through RAB

Old 15-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Henrik Gistvall

"p.aradi" wrote:

Jim:

It is interesting that there are no members from Japan, China,
Korea or Taiwan, all MAJOR bonsai countries.

Not really. They donīt need the info like we do (not to say that
Americans donīt know how to grow bonsai ;-) and the language might also
play a major part. The same probably goes for some of the european
countries. Little Sweden with only a couple of hundred bonsai growers
(and a lot less really serious about the art) have the same amount of
members as Germany, and Italy wich probably is the no 1 bonsai country
in europe at the moment has only three members.

Henrik Gistvall

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Iris Cohen

Italy which probably is the no 1 bonsai country
in Europe at the moment has only three members.

As far as I know, there are bonsai newsgroups in Italian, French, and Spanish.
Probably others we don't hear about. Also, I believe there is at least one UK
newsgroup, which would make sense, because their climate conditions, plant
availability, & other considerations are quite different from ours. And believe
it or not, the language is not the same. I thought I was losing it a few years
ago when some Europeans in another newsgroup insisted on calling Alcis alcis an
elk instead of a moose. When I protested that an elk is Cervis elephas, they
said no. I forget what they call it over there.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 15-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Daniel Guillamot

I was forced to 'lie' about my info. I put Canada even though I am really in
Korea. I will be returning to Canada in 1 year after my wedding in September
and spending a bit more time in this country.

So, we do have one bonsai lover in Korea - for now.

I'll take this opportunity to say 'Hello' to everyone aswell. I am new to
bonsai, I bought my tree 2 days ago, chopped it up real good and now it
looks just great. I hope to add it to the gallery when I get some free time.
It is an evergreen, about 4 years old, I bought it from a nursery farm. It
looked like a bush, a real mess but I saw all the branches on it and knew I
would get a great pick regarding which branches to use. I cut off about 60%
of the tree's foilage and smaller branches despite reading that I should
take it easy. So far so good, I think it looks great for my first tree. I'll
add it to the gallery in a few hours

From: "p.aradi"
Subject: [IBC] Admin -- just in case you were wondering; a snapshot of
the IBC
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:06:33 -0500

Jim:

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

From: "p.aradi"
the IBC

Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Alan Walker

Peter: We have had participation from each of those countries, but it is not too
surprising that an English language forum would not attract very many of the bonsai
community in countries where English is not commonly spoken.
I'm always very impressed about the participation of people like you who
speak English as a second language and do it so well.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================

Old 15-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim:

It is interesting that there are no members from Japan, China,
Korea or Taiwan, all MAJOR bonsai countries.

Cheers.

Peter Aradi
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Well, there may BE some. There are 400 and some members using a
"COM" domain, and those are automatically counted as USA people.
They may not necessarily all be from here.

And there are another 200-300 from rec.arts.bonsai (newsgroup),
also members, who were not represented in the breakdown I sent.
We have had a few that post from the Orient (mainland China and
Taiwan) in the past, and all of them were, I recall, users of the
newsgroup. Add to that, the reluctance of so many Japanese to
exercise their English-speaking skills . . .

I can only recall one person who posted from a "JP" address, and
that was only once or twice, several years ago. His English was
very poor and he apologized for it every third line. That kind
of embarrassment doesn't stay long. :-(

Old 15-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Jim Lewis

Cocos Islands are part of Australia :+)

Well, they must have their own domain (Not AU).

Old 15-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Matteo Scarabelli

The same probably goes for some of the european
countries. Little Sweden with only a couple of hundred bonsai growers
(and a lot less really serious about the art) have the same amount of
members as Germany, and Italy wich probably is the no 1 bonsai country
in europe at the moment has only three members.

Hi Henrik,
is Italy really no 1 country in europe about bonsai? why?
About the NG: yes, there are only 3 members here, but in italy we
have 2 NG: free.it.arte.bonsai and free.it.bonsai and I know at least
30 "members" in the first one, and 15 in the second...

Matteo
Pavia, Italy

Old 15-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Matteo Scarabelli

The same probably goes for some of the european
countries. Little Sweden with only a couple of hundred bonsai growers
(and a lot less really serious about the art) have the same amount of
members as Germany, and Italy wich probably is the no 1 bonsai country
in europe at the moment has only three members.

Hi Henrik,
is Italy really no 1 country in europe about bonsai? why?
About the NG: yes, there are only 3 members here, but in italy we
have 2 NG: free.it.arte.bonsai and free.it.bonsai and I know at least
30 "members" in the first one, and 15 in the second...

Matteo
Pavia, Italy

[IBC] 'Pure Gold....' Update - Just in case you wondered richard patefield Bonsai 0 01-04-2004 06:58 PM
[IBC] ADMIN!!!! (was: [IBC] ADMIN: Old archives) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 24-08-2003 03:22 AM
[IBC] Admin -- just in case you were wondering; a snapshot of the Theo Bonsai 8 15-07-2003 10:07 PM
Just wondering--raspberries shannie United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 11:09 PM
Just wondering... AST United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 05:05 AM