Old 16-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Yuji & 'American Fantasy'

In the latest NABF newsletter, Bill Valavanis writes about Yuji Yoshimura's
bonsai accomplishments
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/news...yoshimura.htm.

Among a vast array of highlights in Yuji's bonsai contributions, Bill notes,
In July 1981 Mr. Y made his finest presentation at the International
Bonsai Convention sponsored by Bonsai Clubs International and the
Atlanta Bonsai Society in Atlanta, Georgia. He spent months preparing
the plant material, the appropriate music, clothing and staging for his
"An American Fantasy" demonstration, a large six-foot, three-piece
tray landscape which when put together, represented the entire
United States from shore to shore. The demonstration was performed
in a darkened room with only lights shining on his hands and plants in
order not to spoil the effect.

A bystander at the event (Jim Lewis, I think) recalled Marion Gyllenswan
dutifully assisting Yuji in assembling that composition in an IBC post this
spring (shortly after Marion passed away). Amazing to me, Harry Abel then
posted to the IBC (Monday, May 05, 2003):
i was at that same convention, and won part of the group planting.
american fantasy i think was the name. yuji blew me away. it was
art. pure art. my first real experience with bonsai as a performance
art...

Harry surprised me when he noted that the parts of the composition were
auctioned immediately. Yuji's 'American Fantasy' is among the icons of
landscape tray plantings!

Yuji created this extraordinary planting in three wooden trays as separate
compositions to unite them once for a crowd. Months of effort for one
viewing. He used respected and conventional bonsai artists such as Marion
as co-conspirators to mask his 'play'. Then, for one time and at one event,
he united the material in a continuous scene. Fortunately, the composition
is documented in a photo-essay in Yuji's suiseki text.

With all the forethought and preparation taken to create the
mountain/piedmont/shore allusion, he then offered this most original
composition to be auctioned as separate pieces. It stirs memory... and
Yuji generously planned it that way.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Fantasy Style Pond. lantzmich Ponds 0 27-11-2004 03:11 AM
Fantasy gardening. Just Molly United Kingdom 7 28-06-2004 10:11 PM
Den. Golden Fantasy & 'Calista' Dens Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 06-01-2004 10:27 PM
[IBC] Yuji & 'American Fantasy' jklewis Bonsai 0 16-07-2003 05:47 PM
[IBC] Fantasy Koku-Fu Theatre Andy Rutledge Bonsai 5 02-07-2003 04:08 AM