Old 16-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Scilla violacea

Scilla violacea
Cultu I grow this in a greenhouse with 60% shade all year. I also have
some in the shade of an Oak. It might take full sun with resulting better
color, but be careful not to move it into sun too fast because it will leaf burn
badly. I keep it fairly wet and grow mostly in a peat/coir based mix called
Metro Mix 500. I have planted some in Bonsai mix from Tom Brantley. I have not
been very good about fertilizer, but I am sure it will respond to any good
fertilizer.
This name is from an old reference work on exotic plants by Graf called
Exotica 3. The name may be out of date.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

This name is from an old reference work on exotic plants by Graf called
Exotica 3. The name may be out of date.

That book is notorious for bad, out-dated names. However, it's
invaluable for "looking at the pictures", because it has photographs
of every outlandish plant you might need to find. It's especially
good for looking up plants that used to be popular back when he wrote
the book, but which are now hard to find ("night-blooming Cereus").
However, you need to have the RHS plant dictionary in your other hand
to determine the correct name.

It's also a fun book to page through because Graf was a lunatic. He
divides plants into arbitrary categories like "color and glamour in
foliage" (crotons, begonias, marantas) and "plant curios". He has a
section on plastic plants, and if he could get a pretty native girl
to stand by a palmtree and smile, well, he certainly would.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Scilla maderensis Sacha United Kingdom 4 30-10-2004 05:36 PM
[IBC] Scilla? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 6 18-07-2003 12:22 AM
Scilla? SHO2n Bonsai 1 16-07-2003 01:12 PM
Scilla? SHO2n Bonsai 0 16-07-2003 06:20 AM