Old 17-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Sacha

Default Scilla maderensis

Anybody else growing this?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 17-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Anybody else growing this?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Its always in flower when we go there and I have never managed to get my
hands on it (no seeds cos its in flower!), does it set seed for you?
Its very pretty and so nice to have it flowering now.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Sacha

On 17/10/04 20:57, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
Anybody else growing this?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Its always in flower when we go there and I have never managed to get my
hands on it (no seeds cos its in flower!), does it set seed for you?
Its very pretty and so nice to have it flowering now.

--

It hasn't set seed so far but Ray's only had it ten years. ;-) It seems
to be something of a rarity here (nobody mentions it in the Plant Finder)

Old 30-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Dave Poole

Sacha asked:

Anybody else growing this?

I did very many years ago and would love to again because to my mind
it is the most handsome of all Scillas - even if it is a bit tender
away from southern coastal regions. ISTR that it never set seed and
had to be increased by natural division of the bulbs or by scoring the
basal plate of dormant bulbs to encourage the formation of bulbils for
growing on.

I saw it at the nursery when I popped in a week last Thursday - a very
fine potful! However, I became distracted by an unusual Bromeliad in
the main greenhouse that is now in flower in my kitchen and which I've
since managed to identify as the rather rare (in this country at
least) Pitcairnia bergii. A wonderful species from Equador with
arching spikes of 5cms. long, soft scarlet, tubular flowers. Quite a
find for that day!

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

[IBC] Scilla? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 6 18-07-2003 12:22 AM
[IBC] Scilla violacea Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 17-07-2003 02:42 PM
Scilla? SHO2n Bonsai 1 16-07-2003 01:12 PM
Scilla? SHO2n Bonsai 0 16-07-2003 06:20 AM