Old 31-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] SC/NC bonsai shops/clubs???

----- Ron Martin's Tokonoma Bonsai is somewhere in your area.
He's had an ad on our website (address below).

Hi all, first of all, I would just like to give a big *thanks*

everyone who has helped me and emailed me about bonsais...I

really
appreciate everyones kindness!!!

I live near Florence SC and sorta near Lumberton NC...I live on

the
border between the two states and I was wondering if anyone

knows a
bonsai shop/and or club anywhere close by to where I live...

I would really like to look around a shop and pick a bonsai out
myself, rather than order it on the internet...

you can post back or just email me...thanks!

John

***************

***************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 31-07-2003, 01:42 PM
William N. Valavanis

There are plenty of bonsai in SC and NC. However, in my opinion, the
finest quality classical bonsai can be found at

The Growing Grounds
P.O. Box 35
Cherryville, NC 28021
(704) 445-3009

www.thegrowinggrounds.com

The proprietor, Marc Torppa, is an avid collector of superb specimens in
both NC and SC. He also has a field of thousands trees cultivated
specifically for bonsai including: Chinese quince, Japanese black pine,
Junipers, Trident maples, Japanese maples, Hornbeams and much more...
There are also container grown plants available as well as great bonsai
finishished and unfinished.

His father, Donald P. Torppa, assists him at the nursery. Don has been
the leader of bonsai in NC and SC for 30 years. His private collection
is housed at his son's nursery. Cherryville is just outside of
Charlotte, NC, near Gastonia.

Even if you do not live close to his area, is definately worth a visit.
Oh yea, he also has supplies and offers instruction.

Visit Marc or his website, you will not be disappointed.

Bill Valavanis

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Chris Cochrane

John writes,
I live near Florence SC and sorta near Lumberton NC...I live
on the border between the two states and I was wondering if
anyone knows a bonsai shop/and or club anywhere close by
to where I live...

The South Carolina editor for the North American Bonsai Federation is John Quinn . He is president of the Bonsai Club of South Carolina (Columbia, http://members.aol.com/SCbonsai/Bonsaipages/SCBS.html) and involved in bonsai activities i
n NC as well as SC.

John is a great resource for assessing regional bonsai.

Good hunting...
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Old 01-08-2003, 03:58 AM
randi sharp

I've just returned from a visit to The Growing Grounds over this past weekend. I went down to pick up a tree purchased through the website. I couldn't have been more pleased both with the tree and with the warm reception from Marc and his Dad. Wonderful f
olks to do business with. You will want to call ahead/email to let them know you will be stopping by for a visit - and if you do, I can promise you will not be disappointed. Just allow enough time to enjoy their wonderful speciems and hospitality.

Randi Sharp
Roichmond, VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++